Having trouble finding the potential between two positive point charges.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the potential between two positive point charges and troubleshooting why the calculated answer is not matching the correct answer. The conversation includes discussions about converting units, using the correct value of k, and comparing the calculated answer to the given answer.
nontradstuden

Homework Statement

How to find the potential between two positive point charges?

I don't know where I'm going wrong.

==I am adding V_1 and V_2. converted mC to C, cm to m, correct value of k.

V1= kq1 / r1
v2= kq2/ r2.

==I am adding both of these, but I'm not getting the correct answer.

===Problem:

A point charge of q1 = 2.37 µC is 44 cm from a charge of q2 =26.4 µC. Where is the electric field zero? What is the value of the potential there?
----------

electric field is zero at 0.101m (correct answer).

I have r1= .101m and r2= .44m - .101= .34m.

I'm using the correct value of k.

== The answer is given as 2.34 * 10^6 V.

Can you help me find out where I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
We cannot tell where you are going wrong if you do not post all your working.

haruspex said:
We cannot tell where you are going wrong if you do not post all your working.

Edit: The potential at the point is equal to the sum of the two potentials of the two point charges.

V= kq_1 / r_1 + kq_2 /r_2

V= (9*10^9 Nm^2/C^2)* (2.37 * 10^-6 C)/ .101m + (9*10^9 Nm^2/C^2)*(26.4*10^-6 C) / .34m = 9.10*10^5 V.

The correct answer is 2.34 *10^6 V.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I agree with your answer (almost: 9.11e5).

I understand your frustration in trying to find the potential between two positive point charges. It is important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units and values for the constants. In this case, the incorrect answer may be due to a small error in your calculations or a mistake in converting units. It may also be helpful to use a calculator or software to double check your results. Additionally, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem, as the given answer may be for a different part of the question. I suggest reviewing your steps and calculations and seeking assistance from a teacher or peer if needed. Keep in mind that mistakes are a natural part of the scientific process and it is important to learn from them. Keep trying and you will eventually find the correct answer.

1. What is the equation for calculating the potential between two positive point charges?

The equation for calculating the potential between two positive point charges is V = k(Q1Q2)/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and r is the distance between the two charges.

2. How do I determine the direction of the potential between two positive point charges?

The direction of the potential between two positive point charges is always from the higher potential charge to the lower potential charge. This means that the potential decreases as you move away from the positive charge.

3. What is the unit of measurement for potential between two positive point charges?

The unit of measurement for potential is Volts (V) or Joules per Coulomb (J/C).

4. What factors affect the potential between two positive point charges?

The potential between two positive point charges is affected by the magnitude of the charges, the distance between the charges, and the medium between the charges.

5. How do I solve for the potential between two positive point charges in a three-dimensional space?

In a three-dimensional space, the potential between two positive point charges can be solved using the equation V = k(Q1Q2)/r, where r is the distance between the charges. The distance, r, can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.