Estimating Cooling Time of Steel Block at High Temperatures

In summary, the block is undergoing convective heat transfer in ambient air and the lumped capacitance approach should be used for transient analysis. The energy balance equation is used to equate the rate of heat transfer out of the block to the rate of change in internal energy. The specific heat capacity and convective heat transfer coefficient must be determined from references and units must be carefully considered. It is important to note that this is an approximation and the Biot number should be calculated to determine its validity. At high temperatures, radiation is the dominant heat transfer mode and it may be necessary to include it in the analysis. An FE or FD model can be used for a more accurate analysis.
1988ajk
I have a steel block (2.75m x 1.6m x 0.5m) sat at 1000°C in ambient air (22°C)

How long will it take for a surface to drop to say 800°C

should i use the heat transfer eq: Q=KA[itex]\Delta[/itex]T to find the power in joules per second, then transpose to find seconds somehow?

Any help will be appreciated

Adam.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Adam. Your block sitting in open air is undergoing convective heat transfer. For transient analysis of this type, you'll need to use the lumped capacitance approach. We ignore the temperature gradient inside the block and assume that the entire block is at the same temperature. Then, with an energy balance, we equate the rate of heat transfer out of the block (convection) to the rate of change in internal energy of the block.

[itex]-\dot{E}_{out} = \dot{E}_{st}[/itex]

Then:

[itex]-hA_{s}(T - T_{\infty}) = \rho Vc\dfrac{dT}{dt}[/itex]

With a bunch of exciting math, we can arrive at:

[itex]\dfrac{\rho Vc}{hA_{s}} \ln\dfrac{T - T_{\infty}}{T_{i} - T_{\infty}} = t[/itex]

Where:

[itex]

\rho = \text{material density} \\
V = \text{volume} \\
c = \text{specific heat capacity} \\
h = \text{convective heat transfer coefficient} \\
A_{s} = \text{surface area exposed to the air} \\
T = \text{final temperature} \\
T_{i} = \text{initial temperature} \\
T_{\infty} = \text{temperature of the air} \\
t = \text{time taken to cool from } T_{i} \text{ to } T \text{ in seconds}\\

[/itex]

At this point, consult some references to determine the specific heat capacity and the convective heat transfer coefficient, and then it's plug and chug. Watch out for units!

According to my reference here:

[itex]

c_{steel} = \text{440 } \dfrac{\text{J}}{\text{kg}\cdot{\text{K}}} \\
h_{air} = \text{20} \dfrac{\text{W}}{\text{m}^{2}\cdot{\text{K}}}

[/itex]

Note

Keep in mind this is an approximation because we are assuming the gradient in the block has no effect on the rate of cooling (although most likely good enough for your needs). A measure of the validity of the approximation can be found through calculating the Biot number.

[itex]

Bi = \dfrac{hL_{c}}{k}\\

\text{Where:} \\

L_{c} = \dfrac{V}{A_{s}} = \text{characteristic length} \\
k = \text{thermal conductivity of the material} \\

[/itex]

For a good approximation, Bi should be much less than 1.

Hope that helps!

You have a bit more of a problem here. The block is at 1000 C. Therefore radiation is the dominant heat transfer mode. Natural convection is dwarfed by radiation at these temperatures. My advice is to create a FE for FD model of it and include the radiation boundary condition along with the natural comvection condition.

If you cannot do this you can approximate the effect of radiation and lump it into the convection coefficient. It's crude but better than ignoring the major heat loss.

If you got access to the ford automobile factory in detroit, you might be able to measure this in real life.

Last time I was there, I remember red hot ingots emerging from where they were made and them sitting (still red) before they were moved to where they would be worked.

Assuming the block to be lumped, you can equate convection loss + radiation loss to heat term at steady state.

Due to its nonlinearity you'll have to perform a numerical integration in order to solve it. Newton Raphson embedded in a fully implicit scheme would work well.

1. What is the cooling time of steel block?

The cooling time of a steel block depends on various factors such as the size and thickness of the block, the ambient temperature, and the cooling method used. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for a steel block to cool down.

2. How does the cooling time of steel block affect its properties?

The cooling time of a steel block can significantly impact its properties. A longer cooling time allows for slower and more controlled cooling, resulting in a finer microstructure and improved mechanical properties of the steel. On the other hand, a shorter cooling time can lead to a coarser microstructure and lower mechanical properties.

3. What are the different cooling methods for steel block?

There are various cooling methods for steel blocks, including air cooling, water quenching, oil quenching, and furnace cooling. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of cooling method depends on the desired properties of the steel.

4. How can the cooling time of steel block be controlled?

The cooling time of a steel block can be controlled by adjusting the cooling method and the cooling rate. By using different cooling methods and rates, the cooling time can be shortened or lengthened to achieve the desired properties of the steel.

5. What factors can affect the cooling time of steel block?

Several factors can impact the cooling time of a steel block, including the composition of the steel, the size and shape of the block, the ambient temperature, and the cooling method used. Additionally, any external factors such as heat sinks or insulation can also affect the cooling time of a steel block.