The gravitational force of energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of replacing the mass term in gravitational equations with energy, specifically in regards to kinetic energy. While it may be straightforward for internal energy, there are other factors to consider such as the Einstein field equations and the frame dragging effect from a moving mass. The concept of gravitoelectromagnetism is also mentioned as a potential answer to the question.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Energy gravitates. Is is so simple as to replace M in gravitational euqations with E/c*c ?

F=[itex]\frac{G*M\underline{1}*M\underline{2}}{DM\underline{1,2}}[/itex]=F=[itex]\frac{G*E\underline{1}*E\underline{2}}{c\overline{4}*DM\underline{1,2}}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Whoops, forgive me for screwing up the latex. I clicked on post too early.

Wouldn't you just replace it with E after finding the equivalent energy content for an objects mass?

If it's internal energy, e.g. heat or chemical, yes it is that simple. I'm not sure about kinetic energy though. Especially when the object's velocity is close to c.

For kinetic energy, I believe the answer lies in the Einstein field equations, but I don't know how to solve the Weyl curvature. But, there is a frame dragging effect from a moving mass, which creates a gravity which isn't radial. There's a formal analogy to magnetism, called gravitoelectromagnetism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitoelectromagnetism, which might answer your question.

1. What is the gravitational force of energy?

The gravitational force of energy refers to the attractive force between two objects that is caused by their masses. This force is responsible for keeping objects, such as planets, in orbit around larger objects, such as stars.

2. How does the gravitational force of energy work?

The gravitational force of energy works according to Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In simpler terms, the larger the masses of the objects and the closer they are to each other, the stronger the gravitational force will be.

3. How is the gravitational force of energy measured?

The gravitational force of energy is measured using the gravitational constant (G) and the masses and distances of the objects involved. The equation for calculating the force is F = (G * m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. Is the gravitational force of energy the same for all objects?

No, the gravitational force of energy depends on the masses and distances of the objects involved. The force will be stronger between objects with larger masses and closer distances, and weaker between objects with smaller masses and farther distances.

5. Can the gravitational force of energy be shielded or canceled?

The gravitational force of energy cannot be shielded or canceled, as it is a fundamental force of nature. However, its effects can be counteracted by other forces, such as centrifugal force or other gravitational forces in a multi-body system.