Need information in deriving first integral of Bessel's function.

In summary, the conversation discusses a request for the proof or derivation of the First Integral of Bessel's Function, which is an integral representation of the Bessel function of the first kind. The responder suggests checking that the integral expression satisfies Bessel's equation and provides a link to a classic reference for further information. Another link is also given, which provides a derivation using contour integration. The conversation also mentions a difference between the expressions derived in the links and suggests applying trig identities to explain the difference. The original requester plans to go through both articles for further understanding.
yungman
Can anyone give me the proof or point me to a link to derive this First Integral of Bessel's Function.

[tex]J_n(x)=\frac{j^{-n}}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi}\cos(n\phi)e^{jx\cos \phi}d\phi[/tex]

I have been searching all over and can't find the derivation. In fact, other than some basic Bessel's identities that is shown in one PDE book, I have yet to find anything.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not want to nitpick your English, but this expression is more properly called "an integral representation of the Bessel function of the first kind." I only point this out because "first integral" makes it seem as if you are integrating the Bessel function, which is another interesting thing that we could consider.

That said, the first thing that comes to mind when given any representation of a function is to check that the representation satisfies the definition of the function. So you could check that this integral expression actually satisfies Bessel's equation. It seems like you probably do not need to actually perform any of the ##\phi## integrals to check this.

Second, I have located a discussion of the http://www.math.psu.edu/papikian/Kreh.pdf. The text by Watson referred to there is a classic reference that you might also want to examine.

Likes 1 person
fzero said:
I do not want to nitpick your English, but this expression is more properly called "an integral representation of the Bessel function of the first kind." I only point this out because "first integral" makes it seem as if you are integrating the Bessel function, which is another interesting thing that we could consider.

That said, the first thing that comes to mind when given any representation of a function is to check that the representation satisfies the definition of the function. So you could check that this integral expression actually satisfies Bessel's equation. It seems like you probably do not need to actually perform any of the ##\phi## integrals to check this.

Second, I have located a discussion of the http://www.math.psu.edu/papikian/Kreh.pdf. The text by Watson referred to there is a classic reference that you might also want to examine.

thanks for the response. I downloaded the file and I need to spend some time reading it. So far I don't see the direct explanation of my question, can you give me some hint what equation to use in the article to derive the identity I asked?

I read the name from one of the article I read on line, they called first integration for whatever reason.

Thanks

yungman said:
thanks for the response. I downloaded the file and I need to spend some time reading it. So far I don't see the direct explanation of my question, can you give me some hint what equation to use in the article to derive the identity I asked?

Sorry, I meant to point out what specific part to look at and neglected to do so. Theorem 2.11 on page 12 gives integral representations. The formulas is obtained from the contour around the real axis, while your formula probably comes from choosing the contour around the imaginary axis. SteamKing's link gives a derivation that doesn't use contour integration, so it's probably easier to follow. There is still a difference between these expressions and your formula, which is probably explained by applying trig identities.

SteamKing said:
Try this article on for size. It shows a derivation of the equation for Jn from the OP.

http://www.math.kau.se/mirevine/mf2bess.pdf

Thanks, this gives me a slightly different derivation that help me going through the first article by Martin Kreh.

Thanks

Last edited:
fzero said:
Sorry, I meant to point out what specific part to look at and neglected to do so. Theorem 2.11 on page 12 gives integral representations. The formulas is obtained from the contour around the real axis, while your formula probably comes from choosing the contour around the imaginary axis. SteamKing's link gives a derivation that doesn't use contour integration, so it's probably easier to follow. There is still a difference between these expressions and your formula, which is probably explained by applying trig identities.

Thanks. I am still on page 5 and 6 where the author using the Generating Function to derive all the identities. I am going to go through this a little as it's different from my PDE book. My PDE book does not get into integral representation of Bessel Function at all.

I am going to go through both articles as both seem to be very good in deriving the identities. I am sure I'll be back with more question.

Thanks

Last edited:

1. What is a first integral of Bessel's function?

A first integral of Bessel's function is a constant that is obtained by integrating the Bessel function over a certain range. It is often used in solving differential equations involving Bessel functions.

2. How is the first integral of Bessel's function derived?

The first integral of Bessel's function is derived by applying integration by parts to the Bessel function. This process involves using the product rule for integration and results in a constant as the integration term.

3. What are the applications of the first integral of Bessel's function?

The first integral of Bessel's function has several applications in physics and engineering. It is used in solving differential equations related to heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and acoustics. It is also used in modeling oscillatory systems and calculating electromagnetic fields.

4. How does the first integral of Bessel's function relate to the Bessel function itself?

The first integral of Bessel's function is closely related to the Bessel function. It is obtained by integrating the Bessel function, and it can be used to solve differential equations involving Bessel functions. Additionally, the first integral can be expressed in terms of the Bessel function through a recursive relationship.

5. Can the first integral of Bessel's function be generalized to other functions?

Yes, the concept of a first integral can be applied to other functions as well. However, the specific process of deriving the first integral will vary depending on the function. In the case of Bessel's function, integration by parts is used, but for other functions, different methods may be required.