Mathematical method in electrical potential ?

In summary, the mathematical method in electrical potential is used to calculate the potential at a point in space. This is done by calculating the differential of a function with respect to a variable. The differential is then used to calculate the potential at a given point.
igraviton
Mathematical method in electrical potential ??

Hi All,
I need mathematical help from the topic electrical potential for lectures on physics by Richard Feynman.

Need some help to understand mathematical method used here.
question :
1) From electrical potential.png
( how this partial differential of ( -p/4∏ε (z/r^3)) with respect to z
⇔ -p/4∏ε (1/r^3 - 3z^2 / r^5) ?
similarly how to do partial differentiation with respect to x

2) From perpendicular_field.png
( how this E = p/4∏ε * 3z/r^5 √(x^2 + y^2) ⇔ p/4∏ε * (3 cosθsinθ/r^3)

Please look for attachments

Attachments

• electrical potential.pdf
    214.9 KB · Views: 241
  • electrical potential.png
    electrical potential.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 454
  • perpendicular_field.png
    perpendicular_field.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
hi igraviton! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
igraviton said:
( how this partial differential of ( -p/4∏ε (z/r3)) with respect to z
⇔ -p/4∏ε (1/r3 - 3z2 / r5) ?

you use both the product rule (or the quotient rule) and the chain rule

for the chain rule, use ∂/∂z (f(r)) = ∂f(r)/dr ∂r/∂z

(and ∂r/∂z = … ? :smile:)

Likes 1 person
Thank you tiny-tim,
after doing partial differentiation and chain rule i got following.
d (z/r^3)/dz = 1/[r][/3] - 3z/[x^4] * dr/dz
but actual answer is 1/[r^3] - 3z^2/[x^5]

And what is the definition of 'r' in terms of x, y, and z?

igraviton said:
d (z/r^3)/dz = 1/[r][/3] - 3z/[x^4] * dr/dz

(you mean ∂r/∂z)

ok … and now what is ∂r/∂z ? :smile:

yes Tiny-tim,

actual answer is

[itex]\frac{\partial (z/r^3)}{\partial z } = \frac{1}{r^3} - \frac{3z^2}{r^5} [/itex]tiny-tim, as you told me i did partial differentiation using quotient rule and chain rule

and i got

[itex]\frac{\partial (z/r^3)}{\partial z } = 1/(r^3) - (3z)/r^4 \frac{\partial r}{\partial z} [/itex]where
[itex]
r = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)
[/itex]

Last edited:
igraviton said:
tiny-tim, as you told me i did partial differentiation using quotient rule and chain rule

and i got

[itex]\frac{\partial (z/r^3)}{\partial z } = 1/(r^3) - (3z)/r^4 \frac{\partial r}{\partial z} [/itex]

yes, but what is ∂r/∂z ?

(you can't just leave it there like that! :rolleyes:)

I don't know ! :confused:
what is [itex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial z}[/itex]

I did following :

[itex] \frac {\partial \frac {z}{r^3}}{\partial z} = \frac {1 * r^3 - z * \frac {\partial r^3}{\partial z}}{(r^3)^2}[/itex]

= [itex] \frac {1}{r^3} - \frac {z \frac {(\partial r^3)}{\partial z}}{r^6} [/itex]

where
[itex] \frac {\partial r^3 }{\partial z} = (\frac {\partial r^3 }{\partial z}) (\frac {\partial r}{\partial z}) [/itex]

=> [itex] 3 * r^2 * \frac {\partial r}{\partial z} [/itex]

putting back I got

=> [itex] \frac {1}{r^3} - \frac {3z}{r^4} * \frac {\partial r}{\partial z} [/itex]

Let me know if i am doing wrong.. thanks in advance

?? :confused:
igraviton said:
[itex]
r = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)
[/itex]

… so what is ∂r/∂z ? :smile:

Think of r as f(x,y,z) = (x^2+y^2+z^2)^(1/2)

What is ∂f/∂z?

1. What is the basic concept of mathematical methods in electrical potential?

The basic concept of mathematical methods in electrical potential is to use mathematical equations and techniques to analyze and solve problems related to electrical potential. This involves using concepts from calculus, linear algebra, and other mathematical fields to model and understand the behavior of electrical systems.

2. How are mathematical methods used in the field of electrical engineering?

Mathematical methods are essential in electrical engineering as they allow engineers to analyze and design electrical systems and devices. These methods are used to solve equations and model the behavior of electrical components, circuits, and systems. They are also used in the development of control systems and signal processing techniques.

3. What are some common mathematical techniques used in electrical potential analysis?

Some common mathematical techniques used in electrical potential analysis include vector calculus, partial differential equations, and Fourier analysis. These techniques are used to model the behavior of electric fields, calculate potential and voltage distributions, and analyze the effects of boundary conditions on electrical systems.

4. How do mathematical methods contribute to the advancement of electrical technology?

Mathematical methods play a crucial role in the advancement of electrical technology. They allow engineers to design and optimize electrical systems and devices, improving their performance and efficiency. Mathematical methods also aid in the development of new technologies such as renewable energy sources and smart grids.

5. What are some challenges associated with using mathematical methods in electrical potential analysis?

One major challenge is the complexity of electrical systems, which can make it difficult to develop accurate mathematical models. Another challenge is the need for high-level mathematical skills and knowledge to apply these methods effectively. Additionally, the accuracy of predictions made using mathematical methods can be affected by factors such as environmental conditions and manufacturing variations.