A Difficult Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a thought experiment that leads to a difficult, non-linear differential equation. The equation can be approximated in certain conditions, but finding a closed form solution is challenging. The conversation also mentions the use of numerical methods and attachments with corrections and a simpler result.
Radek Vavra
So, as a result of a thought experiment, I've got a differential equation, which I can't solve:

[itex]
R r'' \sin \frac{r}{R} - 2 (r')^2 \cos \frac{r}{R} - R^2 \cos \frac{r}{R} \sin^2 \frac{r}{R} = 0
[/itex], [itex]R > 0[/itex]

To make the matters worse, the function [itex]r(\varphi)[/itex] will probably depend on multiple parameters, because when I put [itex]r << R[/itex], I could approximate the equation:

[itex]
r r'' - 2 (r')^2 - r^2 = 0
[/itex]

which gave solution (mostly by lucky guess):

[itex]
r = \frac{a}{\sin \varphi + b \cos \varphi}
[/itex], [itex]a\in\mathbb R[/itex], [itex]b\in\mathbb R[/itex]

Since I'm used only to the simplest types of differential equations, could you please help me and describe every step :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got a homogeneous, second order, non-linear ODE. A closed form solution will be difficult to come by, but numerical methods of solution should work.

Hi !
See attachment :

Attachments

• ODE.JPG
    ODE.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,210
Likes 1 person
JJacquelin said:
Hi !
See attachment :
Oh, thank you!

Sorry, there is a mistake in the attached document:
From d(rho)/d(phi)=f , in the integral the square root should be at denominator instead of numerator. This changes all what follows and result.
Nevertheless, the method to solve the ODE has been explained.

JJacquelin said:
Sorry, there is a mistake in the attached document:
From d(rho)/d(phi)=f , in the integral the square root should be at denominator instead of numerator. This changes all what follows and result.
Nevertheless, the method to solve the ODE has been explained.
I've noticed :) I'm currently trying to integrate the changed equation.

Below, the corrected attachment :
The result is much simpler.

Attachments

• ODE.JPG
    ODE.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 650

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivative(s). It involves one or more variables and their rates of change, and is commonly used to model a variety of physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is a differential equation different from a regular equation?

A regular equation involves algebraic operations on variables and constants, while a differential equation involves derivatives or rates of change of one or more variables. Differential equations are also typically used to describe dynamic systems and their behavior over time, while regular equations are often used to find specific values of variables.

3. What makes a differential equation difficult?

There are several factors that can make a differential equation difficult to solve, including the complexity of the relationship between variables and their derivatives, the presence of multiple variables and their interactions, and the lack of a known closed-form solution. In some cases, numerical methods or approximations may be necessary to solve a difficult differential equation.

4. What are some common techniques for solving difficult differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving difficult differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, integration by parts, and series solutions. Advanced techniques such as Laplace transforms, Fourier series, and numerical methods may also be used depending on the specific equation and its properties.

5. How are differential equations used in scientific research?

Differential equations are used in scientific research to model and understand a wide range of physical phenomena, from the motion of objects to the behavior of complex systems. They allow scientists to make predictions and analyze the behavior of these systems over time, and are an essential tool in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering.