Solvability and adjoint equation?

• Thread starter jollage
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a solvability criterion for a differential equation and the role of the adjoint equation. The solvability criterion is derived from Fredholm's alternative theorem, which states that a system of linear equations is solvable if and only if the right-hand-side is orthogonal to the kernel. The adjoint equation is used to find the kernel and the solutions of the adjoint equation are used to construct a dual basis, which is orthogonal to the kernel. This leads to the solvability criterion mentioned.
jollage
Hi all,

I post this thread in the Calculus, but no one seems to be interested. I realize that's a wrong place, So I repost here, could the moderators remove that thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=704643. Thank you.

Basically I don't understand the following procedure discussing the solvability of the differential equation. Please have a look and comment.

The operator [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] is defined as [itex]\mathcal{L}=\mathcal{L}(\phi_0;k,\omega,X)[/itex], where [itex]\phi_0[/itex] is the variable and [itex]k,\omega,X[/itex] are the parameters.

Now take the derivative w.r.t. k of the homogeneous equation [itex]\mathcal{L}=0[/itex], we have [itex]\mathcal{L}(∂_k\phi_0;k,\omega,X)=-\mathcal{L}_k(\phi_0;k,\omega,X)-\mathcal{L}_{\omega}(\phi_0;k,\omega,X)∂_k\omega[/itex], where it assumes [itex]\omega[/itex] is dependent on [itex]k[/itex] while [itex]X[/itex] independent on [itex]k[/itex].

Then the author writes that the solvability of the above differential equation requires that the right hand side be orthogonal to the homogeneous solution to the adjoint equation of [itex]\mathcal{L}=0[/itex].

I've came across such solvability criterion now and then (I guess it is common knowledge), but never truly understand what it really means and where it comes from. Also, what's the role of the adjoint equation? Could you help me? Thanks a lot in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solvability criterion you mentioned is basically derived from Fredholm's alternative theorem, which states that a system of linear equations is solvable if and only if the right-hand-side of its equation is orthogonal to the kernel (the vector space spanned by the solutions of the homogeneous equation). In this case, the adjoint equation of \mathcal{L}=0 is used to find the kernel. In general, the adjoint equation is obtained by taking the transpose of the coefficients of \mathcal{L}, and the solutions of the adjoint equation are used to construct the so-called "dual basis", which by definition is orthogonal to the kernel of the original equation. The orthogonality of the right-hand-side of the equation with respect to the kernel is then equivalent to the orthogonality of the dual basis with respect to the right-hand-side of the equation. Thus, the solvability criterion is established.

1. What is the definition of solvability?

Solvability refers to the ability of a mathematical equation or problem to have a unique solution that satisfies given conditions. In other words, it is the property of a problem to be solvable.

2. What is the importance of studying solvability?

Studying solvability allows us to determine whether a given problem can be solved and if so, what methods can be used to find a solution. It helps us understand the behavior and properties of mathematical equations and systems, and can provide insight into more complex problems.

3. What is the adjoint equation and how is it related to solvability?

The adjoint equation is a mathematical tool used to solve optimization problems and systems of differential equations. It is related to solvability because it allows us to find solutions to problems that may not have a direct solution, by transforming the problem into a more solvable form.

4. How does one determine if an equation is solvable?

Determining solvability of an equation involves studying its properties and conditions. In general, an equation is solvable if it has a unique solution that satisfies all given conditions. This can be determined through various mathematical techniques and methods.

5. Can solvability change depending on the parameters of an equation?

Yes, solvability can change depending on the parameters of an equation. Different values of the parameters can lead to different solutions or no solution at all. Therefore, it is important to consider the parameters when studying the solvability of an equation.