A question about resonance curve

In summary, the conversation discusses a graph found on Wikipedia about resonance. The graph shows that as the driving frequency approaches the natural frequency, the peaks of the curves increase. The symbol δ represents the damping factor, with different values indicating different behaviors of the system. The concept of transmissibility is also mentioned, but not fully understood. The conversation ends with a question about how to generate the graph.
haisydinh
Searching through Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Resonance.PNG), I found this graph about resonance. I do notice from the graph that as the driving frequency gets closer to the natural frequency of the system, the peaks of the curves (i.e. the amplitudes) of the curves increase. However, I don’t understand what the symbol δ stands for in the graph. Also, what does it mean by transmissibility? And finally, how can we generate this graph (I mean from what data?)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1200px-Resonance.PNG
    1200px-Resonance.PNG
    30.8 KB · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org
δ is the damping factor.
When δ=0, the oscillations go on without attenuation.
When δ>0, the oscillation decrease in amplitude, for example because of friction in the system.
When δ<0, the system is unstable, due to an additional input of energy without external excitation.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a resonance curve?

A resonance curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the frequency of a vibrating system and its amplitude. It shows the points at which the system vibrates with the greatest amplitude, known as the resonant frequencies.

2. How is resonance curve measured?

Resonance curves are typically measured using a device called a vibration analyzer, which records the amplitude and frequency of a vibrating system. The data is then plotted on a graph to create the resonance curve.

3. What factors affect the shape of a resonance curve?

The shape of a resonance curve can be affected by several factors, including the stiffness of the vibrating system, the damping of the system, and the mass of the system. Changes in any of these factors can alter the resonant frequencies and the overall shape of the curve.

4. What is the significance of resonance curves?

Resonance curves are important in understanding the behavior of vibrating systems, such as musical instruments or mechanical structures. They can help identify the natural frequencies of a system and determine if there are any potential issues or design flaws that may cause unwanted vibrations.

5. Can resonance curves be used to tune musical instruments?

Yes, resonance curves can be used to tune musical instruments by adjusting the factors that affect the shape of the curve. For example, the tension of strings on a guitar or the size of a wind instrument's resonant chamber can be altered to achieve the desired resonant frequencies.