Maxwells relations for an open system

In summary, the conversation was about maxwell's relations and the possibility of deriving them for an open system. The speaker also mentioned learning about chemical potential and fundamental relations for an open system. They attempted to derive the maxwell's relations for an open system but were unsure if their approach was correct. They asked for input and mentioned getting further in the chapter but not fully understanding the use of maxwell's relations.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
HelloI have learned about maxwells relations and can derive them. I noticed that we had made an assumption of a closed system.

We just learns about chemical potential and the fundamental relations for an open system. I had a thought experiment that there may exist maxwells relations for an open system that is more general than the ones I previously learned. I tried deriving them in the same way as the closed system equations and attached what I came up with. I was wondering if what I'm trying to do is nonsensical, and if so why is it, or if my math is wrong but I'm on the right track towards something real if I could get some input.

Thanks

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1397286764.547128.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I am onto something with this hypothesis, I have gotten further in the chapter and they seem to use maxwell's relations, but I am not quite following their work.

1. What are Maxwell's relations for an open system?

Maxwell's relations for an open system are a set of four equations that describe the relationships between thermodynamic properties such as temperature, pressure, and volume. These relations are derived from the fundamental laws of thermodynamics and are often used to solve problems in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

2. How are Maxwell's relations derived?

Maxwell's relations are derived by applying the first and second laws of thermodynamics to a closed system. The first law states that energy is conserved, while the second law states that entropy always increases in a closed system. By combining these laws and using partial derivatives, the four relations can be derived.

3. What are the uses of Maxwell's relations?

Maxwell's relations are used in a variety of applications, including in physical chemistry, engineering, and materials science. They can be used to determine the relationships between thermodynamic properties, to calculate changes in energy or entropy, and to solve thermodynamic problems involving open systems.

4. How do Maxwell's relations apply to open systems?

In open systems, matter and energy can be exchanged with the surroundings. Maxwell's relations for an open system take this into account by including terms for the exchange of matter and energy in the equations. These relations can then be used to describe the behavior of open systems and to calculate changes in thermodynamic properties.

5. Can Maxwell's relations be applied to all open systems?

While Maxwell's relations can be applied to many open systems, they are most useful for systems that can be described using thermodynamic quantities such as temperature, pressure, and volume. Some systems, such as non-equilibrium systems, may not be suitable for the application of Maxwell's relations.