Why does the electron have a magnetic moment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between magnetic moment and angular momentum in electrons. It is mentioned that the magnetic moment is not solely derived from the electron's rotation and charge, but also from the relativistic QM Dirac equation or Pauli's nonrelativistic equation. It is also noted that Pauli's equation always includes the magnetic moment due to its inclusion of spin.
carllacan
Hi.

I thought magnetic moment arose from closed loops of charge currents. How does then the angular momentum of the electron produce a magnetic moment? I mean, the electron is not a loop.

Am I wrong in my initial assumption or am I understanding things too "classically"?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are thinking too classically. The electron's magnetic moment arises from the relativistic QM Dirac equation for the electron.

Likes 1 person
You don't need Dirac's equation to derive the magnetic moment of the electron. Pauli's nonrelativistic equation will suffice.

Likes 1 person
I see. Then saying that the magnetic moment arises from its rotation and its charge is just oversimplifying things, right?

Right. Pauli's equation can include the moment, but does not derive it as a necessity.

Pauli's equation always includes the magnetic moment, because it automatically includes the spin.

1. Why does the electron have a magnetic moment?

The electron has a magnetic moment because it has a property called spin, which is a type of intrinsic angular momentum. This spin generates a magnetic field, giving the electron a magnetic moment.

2. How does the electron's spin generate a magnetic moment?

The electron's spin generates a magnetic moment because it is a form of angular momentum, similar to how a spinning top creates a magnetic moment. This is due to the fact that the electron has both mass and charge, which are required for the generation of a magnetic field.

3. Is the electron's magnetic moment constant?

No, the electron's magnetic moment is not constant. It can be affected by external magnetic fields, as well as interactions with other particles and forces. Additionally, the electron's magnetic moment can change over time due to quantum mechanical effects.

4. What is the significance of the electron's magnetic moment?

The electron's magnetic moment is significant because it plays a crucial role in many physical phenomena, such as electricity, magnetism, and quantum mechanics. It also helps to explain the behavior of atoms and particles, and is a fundamental property of matter.

5. Can the electron's magnetic moment be measured?

Yes, the electron's magnetic moment can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as the Stern-Gerlach experiment or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). These measurements have helped to accurately determine the value of the electron's magnetic moment and have provided valuable insights into the nature of subatomic particles.