Escape Velocity Calculation for Orbiting Satellite

In summary, the question is asking for the amount by which a satellite's speed must increase in order to escape the Earth's force of gravity when orbiting at an altitude of 3700 km. The Earth's escape velocity is 1.12 x 10^4 m/s and the velocity at that altitude can be found using the equation v = sqrt(GM/r). Once this velocity is found, it can be subtracted from the escape velocity to determine the required increase.
MiniTank
I am having some difficulty with this question:
A satellite is in orbit around Earth at an altitude of 3700 km. How much must its speed increase, in km/h, to escape the Earth's force of gravity?

I'm stumped. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Whats Earth's escape velocity?
What velocity is it orbitting at if its at that altitude?

Earth's escape velocity = 1.12 x 10^4 m/s
and the velocity at that altitude is what I am having tourble with

Find the gravitational potential energy at that altitude. What doy ou know about the satelite's KE if it remains at that point?

i think i get what your saying ..

Ek = 1/2 |Eg|
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}\frac{GMm}{r} [/tex]
[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}}[/tex]

after i find that .. do i subtract that velocity from the escape velocity of earth?

Last edited:
Fix your tex tags, slash them the other way, /tex

You've got all youj need to solve the problem.

alright thanks ... appreciate it

What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region of space around a massive object where other objects will experience a force of attraction towards the center of the mass.

How is a gravitational field created?

A gravitational field is created by any object that has mass. The greater the mass of the object, the stronger its gravitational field will be.

What is the difference between gravitational field and gravitational force?

Gravitational force is the actual force of attraction between two objects, while gravitational field is the region of space where that force is present. The strength of the gravitational field determines the strength of the gravitational force between two objects.

How is the strength of a gravitational field measured?

The strength of a gravitational field is measured by its gravitational field strength, which is defined as the force per unit mass at a specific point in the field. It is measured in units of newtons per kilogram (N/kg).

Can a gravitational field be shielded or blocked?

No, a gravitational field cannot be shielded or blocked. It will always exist as long as the object with mass is present. However, the effects of the gravitational field can be countered by other forces, such as air resistance or the force of another object.