Proving Bijections: Q and Q x X

• Thread starter laminatedevildoll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, The conversation discusses finding a bijection between Q and Q x X, where X can be either the set of natural numbers or the set of integers from 0 to n-1. It is mentioned that a bijection can be found by associating a rational number with a point on a cartesian plane, and that there is a bijection between Q and N. It is also suggested to map elements of N to Q x X to show that it is one-to-one and onto. Ultimately, it is stated that finding a bijection can be confusing, but it is important to show its existence rather than finding it explicitly.
laminatedevildoll
I am not sure how to start these proofs.

Prove that there is a bijection between Q and Q x X if

a. X = N
B. X = {0,1,...n-1}

We're learning about cardinality, but I was thinking that I have to show that it's one-to-one and onto.

Physics news on Phys.org
laminatedevildoll said:
I am not sure how to start these proofs.

Prove that there is a bijection between Q and Q x X if

a. X = N
B. X = {0,1,...n-1}

We're learning about cardinality, but I was thinking that I have to show that it's one-to-one and onto.
One can associate a rational number, a/b, with the point (a,b) on a cartesian plane. One can then proceed to count all of the points on the cartesian graph by starting at the origin and proceeding in a spiral outward. One will eventually reach the point (a,b) for any value of a and b. So there is a bijection between Q and N.

[edit:]To make a bijection between Q and Q x N, associate each rational number (a,b) with (a,b,n) where [itex]n \epsilon N[/itex].

A bijection exists between Q and Q x X = {0,1,...n-1} as X is a subset of N.

AM

Last edited:
It states a bijection from Q to QxN and QxX.

note it doesn't state you have to find a bijection, merely show one exists. How you do that will depend on what you know already.

For instance, do you know there is a bijection between Q and N? if so we can immediately restrict to showing a bijection between N and NxN. Clearly all we need to do is send a pair (a,b) to 2^a3^b, this is a bijection from NxN to an infinite subset of N, this implies they have the same cardinality and hence a bijection exists (note we've not found one).

The casen of a bijection between N and NxX as above is easier, in that it can be done explicitly.

send the element (a,b) to an+b that is a bijection between N and NxX.

Finding a bijection can be very confusing. I know that I have to map stuff to Q and N to find that its one-to-one and onto.

1. What is a bijection?

A bijection is a function between two sets, where every element in the first set has a unique corresponding element in the second set, and vice versa. This means that the function is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto).

2. How do you prove a bijection?

To prove that a function is a bijection, you need to show that it is both injective and surjective. This can be done by showing that for every element in the first set, there is a unique corresponding element in the second set, and that every element in the second set has a pre-image in the first set.

3. What is Q and Q x X in the context of proving bijections?

In the context of proving bijections, Q refers to the set of rational numbers and Q x X refers to the Cartesian product of Q and another set X. This means that every element in Q x X is an ordered pair, where the first element is a rational number and the second element is an element from the set X.

4. How do you show that Q and Q x X are bijective?

To show that Q and Q x X are bijective, you need to find a function that maps each element in Q to a unique element in Q x X, and vice versa. This can be done by creating a function that pairs each rational number with an element from the set X, and by showing that every element in Q x X has a pre-image in Q.

5. Why is it important to prove that Q and Q x X are bijective?

Proving that Q and Q x X are bijective is important because it shows that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the two sets. This means that the number of elements in Q and Q x X is the same, and that they have the same cardinality. This is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is useful in many applications, such as in counting and measuring quantities.