Genes to live a really extended lifetime

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of species evolving to live longer lifetimes and the potential factors that could contribute to this. Some argue that longer lifespans could be detrimental to a species' ability to adapt to changing environments, while others suggest that there could be a link between life span and metabolic rate. The idea of human culture evolving is also brought up, and the concept that humans are still subject to natural selection is debated. Overall, the conversation highlights the unpredictable nature of evolution and the potential for species to evolve longer lifespans through various mechanisms.
NeedBioInfo
Theoretically, could we (as a species) or could something else (as a species) evolve into something that lives a really really really really long time? I mean I really doubt that anything could actually become immortal because I think that the Universe will probably end at some point...

But if the above is possible could the genes to live a really extended lifetime exist? (Even if, or especially if, they haven't been expressed in a living creature so far?)

Just looking for insight/comments

Anyways thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
humans are living longer than those cavemen days. Does that help?

Is it possible future humans will live much longer from evolution due to women having children much later?

There are some studies that propose this idea: Living a long time is a bad idea if you want a species to be able to "change" in a way that is responsive to the environment.

Example: Bacteria have short "lives". That means they go through lots of generations in a short time. It also means they can respond Natural Selection really quickly.
This is why a lot of human pathogenic bacteria are resistant to penicillin - penicillin was first used broadly after World War II. In forty years, by 1985, it had become a lot lesss effective because borad groups of bacteria had become resistant.

If you want to read about why there is a limit to lifetimes, there is a concept of 'physiological time'. In very simple terms it means that organsims of our size and weight live, on average, for a defined number of heartbeats. This is why hummingbirds
live for three-four years and humans more than fifty. This is an oversimplification.
See allometric scaling:
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/99/9/5822

Rather human culture is evolving. There is more change in human culture in one week today, than there was in a human lifetime in the 1200's.

I have read there is a strong link between life span and metabolic rate. Longer lived species have slower biological processes, especially metabolism.

A fly in the soup is than mankind has been evolving more or less independant of Darwinian evolution since brain development reached the stage it was a million years or so ago. Hence, our evolution is very much in our hands, therefore, largly unpredictable.

kublai said:
...mankind has been evolving more or less independant of Darwinian evolution since brain development reached the stage it was a million years or so ago...
It is still Darwinian evolution, it is just using a different set of criteria for selection.
kublai said:
...Hence, our evolution is very much in our hands, therefore, largly unpredictable.
Evolution is always unpredictable (and I don't mean 'hard to predict', I mean, you can't predict what's going to happen). It is an emergent property - and only obvious after the fact, and that's independent of environmental - or social - factors.

Last edited:
NeedBioInfo said:
Theoretically, could we (as a species) or could something else (as a species) evolve into something that lives a really really really really long time?

Such as trees that live for thousands of years?
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_042.html

kublai said:
I have read there is a strong link between life span and metabolic rate. Longer lived species have slower biological processes, especially metabolism.

Yep, there's a very good correlation between life span and metabolic rate (also related to body size). (I don't have the data in front of me...but I recall a Gould article on it.) Humans deviate from that correlation (live longer than our peer species) perhaps due to our slow development (needed to support our complex brain development) and characteristic retention of signs of youth (thank you, sexual selection). I mention this deviation to show that it is possible to evolve a longer lifespan than "normal".

p.s. I agree with DaveC426913 that human are not free from the effects of natural selection, but that's probably a separate debate.

1. How do genes contribute to a longer lifespan?

Genes play a crucial role in determining the length of an individual's life. Certain genes can influence the aging process and increase the likelihood of living a longer life. These genes can regulate processes such as DNA repair, cell division, and metabolism, which are all important factors in determining lifespan.

2. Can genes be modified to extend lifespan?

While certain genes may have an impact on longevity, it is not yet possible to modify specific genes to increase lifespan. However, researchers have identified lifestyle factors, such as diet and exercise, that can influence gene expression and potentially lead to a longer life.

3. Are there specific genes that are associated with a longer lifespan?

There is ongoing research to identify specific genes that may contribute to a longer lifespan. Studies have shown that certain genetic variations, such as in the FOXO3A gene, are associated with increased longevity. However, the influence of genes on lifespan is complex and involves multiple genetic and environmental factors.

4. Can genetics alone determine a person's lifespan?

No, genetics alone cannot determine a person's lifespan. While genes may play a role in longevity, lifestyle factors such as diet, exercise, and environmental influences also have a significant impact. It is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle to increase the chances of living a longer life.

5. Are there ethical concerns surrounding gene modifications for extending lifespan?

There are ethical concerns surrounding genetic modifications for extending lifespan. Altering genes for longevity could potentially have unintended consequences and may lead to unequal distribution of resources among individuals. Further research and ethical considerations are needed before any potential genetic modifications for extending lifespan can be safely and ethically implemented.