Max Speed Calculation for a 1600 kg PT Cruiser on a 50m Radius Road

In summary, the maximum speed of a 1600 kg car on a level 50m radius road, with a coefficient of static friction of 0.80, is 19.8 m/s. The mass is not a factor in the calculation as the centripetal force must equal the maximum of the force providing it. The key is incorrect and should have multiplied by 'g'. A free-body diagram can be helpful in understanding this problem.
jtm
This problem I have to do is really bothering me.

Your 1600 kg PT Cruiser moves around a level 50m radius road. The coefficient of STATIC friction between the car tires and the road is 0.80. Determine the MAX speed of the car so that it does not skid off the road.

I think I get somewhere around.

ma - mg*0.80 = mv^2 / R I'm sure this is wrong because m shouldn't be able to be cancelled. Always ALL the information provided is used in the calculation.

Physics news on Phys.org
jtm,

m shouldn't be able to be cancelled.

Why not?

Always ALL the information provided is used in the calculation.

Also, it gives the wrong answer ;) I checked.

jtm said:
This problem I have to do is really bothering me.
Your 1600 kg PT Cruiser moves around a level 50m radius road. The coefficient of STATIC friction between the car tires and the road is 0.80. Determine the MAX speed of the car so that it does not skid off the road.
I think I get somewhere around.
ma - mg*0.80 = mv^2 / R I'm sure this is wrong because m shouldn't be able to be cancelled. Always ALL the information provided is used in the calculation.
1. What is 'a' ?
2. The answer is independent of the mass, m.

Answer from what I have on key is 6.3 m/s I am getting 19.8 m/s with mass cancelling out. We don't have a :) I'm assuming 0.

Think about this one physically first. If the car is going in a curve, there must be a centripetal force acting. Where is that force coming from? What you're looking for is the speed at which the maximum value of the force providing the centripetal force is exactly what's necessary to hold the car on the road. If it goes any faster, that force will not be able to hold it, and the car will skid.

So - at the point in which you're interested, the centripetal force must equal the maximum of the force providing it. You'll find the masses do cancel out. Sometimes teachers will give you information you don't need, to see if you'll find a way to stick it in anyway. I speak from experience.

jtm said:
Answer from what I have on key is 6.3 m/s I am getting 19.8 m/s with mass cancelling out. We don't have a :) I'm assuming 0.
19.8 m/s is correct. The key is wrong. They forgot to multiply by 'g' !

PS : Did you draw a free-body diagram ?

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) while weight is measured in newtons (N).

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is the measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity.

What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

What is the difference between static and dynamic friction?

Static friction is the force that must be overcome to set an object in motion, while dynamic friction is the force that acts to oppose the motion of an object. Static friction is typically greater than dynamic friction.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from a warmer object to a cooler object, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. Heat is measured in joules (J) while temperature is measured in degrees Celsius (°C) or Kelvin (K).