How many grams of water at 20 degrees Celsius can be converted into steam

In summary, the water must be heated to 100 degrees Celsius, then to 500 degrees Celsius, and the energy required is 10 kJ.
DB
can someone give me a hand on this one?

How many grams of water at 20 degrees Celsius can be converted into steam at 500 degrees Celsius with 10 kJ of energy?

wat i know is that this question is 2 parts: Water being heated to 100 C (80 C change)using the specific heat of water n then having a temperature change of 400 C using the specific heat of steam.

wat i don't understand is how i am supposed to split up the 10 kJ? do i have to have only 1 equation?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry guys, i just realized there was a chemistry section, my bad...

There are three steps: (1) Heating the water, (2) converting water to steam, (3) Heating the steam.

Express the heat required for each step in terms of the mass, m. Set the total energy equal to 10 kJ. That's the equation you want.

okay but should i have 3 equations or 1?

You'll end up with a single equation. (Reread my previous post.)

i don't no wat u mean when u say express the heat in terms of mass

wat i tried was adding each step and then dividing 10000J by the sum to solve for m, i got 2.94 grams...?

DB said:
i don't no wat u mean when u say express the heat in terms of mass
For example: For step 1, how much heat is required to heat "m" grams of water from 20 degrees to 100 degrees?

okay so now I've got 3 values for "m":

[tex]m=\frac{E}{80*4.19}[/tex]

[tex]m=\frac{E}{2262}[/tex]

[tex]m=\frac{E}{400*2.01}[/tex]

now I am stuck :(

There is only one "m". What you should have is three values for E: [tex]E_1, E_2, E_3[/tex]. Your equation would be: [tex] E_1 + E_2 + E_3[/tex] = 10 kJ; solve for m.

ya that's wat i did when i said i got 2.94 grams

anyway I am convinced that the answer is 2.94 grams, thanks for the tips doc al, i apreciate it

1. How is the conversion from water to steam determined?

The conversion from water to steam is determined by the heat energy applied to the water. When water reaches its boiling point at 100 degrees Celsius, it begins to convert into steam. The amount of heat energy required for this conversion is known as the enthalpy of vaporization, which is dependent on the temperature and pressure of the system.

2. What is the formula for calculating the amount of steam produced?

The formula for calculating the amount of steam produced is mass of water (in grams) x enthalpy of vaporization (in J/g) = energy required (in joules). This formula takes into account the specific heat capacity of water and the amount of heat energy needed to convert it into steam.

3. How many grams of steam can be produced from 1 gram of water at 20 degrees Celsius?

Assuming standard atmospheric pressure, 1 gram of water at 20 degrees Celsius can produce approximately 1.8 grams of steam. This calculation is based on the enthalpy of vaporization for water at 20 degrees Celsius, which is approximately 2257 J/g.

4. Can the amount of steam produced vary at different temperatures?

Yes, the amount of steam produced can vary at different temperatures. As the temperature increases, the enthalpy of vaporization also increases, meaning more heat energy is required to convert the same amount of water into steam. This results in a lower conversion rate of water to steam at higher temperatures.

5. Is the conversion from water to steam a reversible process?

Yes, the conversion from water to steam is a reversible process. When steam is cooled down and reaches its boiling point, it condenses back into water, releasing the same amount of heat energy that was required for its conversion. This process is known as the enthalpy of condensation and is also dependent on the temperature and pressure of the system.