Implicit Function Theorem: Solving Level Sets and Computing Partial Derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a function f from R² to R, and the task is to solve for the level set {f = 1} near the point (0,0,0). The solution involves defining a new function G and using the Implicit Function Theorem to find the partial derivatives of x with respect to y and z at (0,0). The conversation also briefly mentions a similar problem in Munkres where the function involves two variables, but the approach used in the conversation is more general. The speaker asks for verification on their solution.
Buri
I've been having a lot of trouble understanding the statement of the theorem and its proof, so I would like to see if I did the following question below correctly.

The problem

Let f : R² → R be given by f(x,y,z) = sin(xyz) + e^[2x + y(z - 1)]. Show that the level set {f = 1} can be solved as x = x(y,z) near (0,0,0) and compute ∂x/∂y (0,0) and ∂x/∂z (0,0).

SOLUTION!

Let G(x,y,z) = f(x,y,z) - 1 and note that G(0,0,0) = 0.

DG = [yzcos(xyz) + e^[2x + y(z - 1)]; xzcos(xyz) + (z - 1)e^[2x + y(z - 1)]; xycos(xyz) + e^[2x + y(z - 1)]; 1 x 3 matrix

I have ∂G/∂x = yzcos(xyz) + 2e^[2x + y(z - 1)]. Now at (0,0,0) I have it equal to 1 and hence the determinant is nonzero, so I can apply the Implicit Function Theorem.

So Dx(0,0) = -[∂G/∂x]^(-1) ⋅ [∂G/∂(y,z)] = -[1]^(-1) ⋅ [-1 1] = [1 -1]

Therefore, ∂x/∂y (0,0) = 1 and ∂x/∂z (0,0) = -1.

Is this all right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Munkres has f: R^k x R^n → R^n, and then writes f as f(x,y) where x ∈ R^k and y ∈R^n and then goes on to solve for y in terms of the x. However, this isn't as general as one could be, so this is what's been confusing me, but I think I have finally understood it (hopefully). So if anyone could verify whether what I did above is right or wrong would be great. Thanks!

1. What is the Implicit Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem is a mathematical theorem that allows us to solve for a function when it is not explicitly given. It is used to find the relationship between two variables in a system of equations where one variable cannot be isolated.

2. How does the Implicit Function Theorem work?

The Implicit Function Theorem states that if a system of equations can be written in the form F(x,y) = 0, where F is a continuously differentiable function, then the function y can be solved for in terms of x in a certain region. This region is determined by the conditions of differentiability of F.

3. What are the conditions for the Implicit Function Theorem to hold?

The conditions for the Implicit Function Theorem to hold are: 1) The function F must be continuously differentiable, meaning it has continuous partial derivatives. 2) The derivative of F with respect to y must not be equal to 0 in the region of interest. 3) The system of equations must have one more equation than the number of variables in order to solve for all variables.

4. What is the significance of the Implicit Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem is significant because it allows us to solve for a function when it is not explicitly given. This is useful in many areas of math and science, such as in optimization problems, differential equations, and in physics and engineering applications.

5. Can the Implicit Function Theorem be applied to more than two variables?

Yes, the Implicit Function Theorem can be extended to systems of equations with more than two variables. In this case, the function will be solved for in terms of the remaining variables. The same conditions must be met for the theorem to hold, and the number of equations must still be one more than the number of variables in order to solve for all of them.