Conversion of American sizes on clothes compared to British

• Thread starter rhuthwaite
  • Start date
In summary: But are you still the same clothing size? Yes, I'm still the same size. But are you still the same clothing size? I'm not sure. I'm not sure what you're asking. I'm not sure what you're asking.
rhuthwaite
Could someone please hlp me. What is the conversion of American sizes on clothes compared to British. Like an average size 8 or x-snall in the UK would be what in america?

Physics news on Phys.org
8 in the UK would be a 6 in the USA..
http://www.usatourist.com/english/tips/sizes.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
oh awsum thanx

rhuthwaite said:
Could someone please hlp me. What is the conversion of American sizes on clothes compared to British. Like an average size 8 or x-snall in the UK would be what in america?
I have no idea. I let my wife handle those details. :biggrin:

I wear the same size clothes that I wore in high school 30+ years ago.

Hope you washed 'em!

:rofl: I've successfully bought clothes for women.

The sizes in the US are some sort of joke.
They don't seem to have any meaning at all.

The only way to tell is measure them yourself.

NoTime said:
:rofl: I've successfully bought clothes for women.

The sizes in the US are some sort of joke.
They don't seem to have any meaning at all.

The only way to tell is measure them yourself.

Wow! You really have bought clothes for women, or are a woman, or have really been paying attention to women! :bugeye: :biggrin: :approve:

Since we're all getting fatter, the manufactures or retailers are changing the sizes so that we won't feel so fat. If a consumer finds that size X works in brand A, but it takes size X+1 in brand B, guess which brand the consumer is likely to choose.

Since we're all getting fatter, the manufactures or retailers are changing the sizes so that we won't feel so fat. If a consumer finds that size X works in brand A, but it takes size X+1 in brand B, guess which brand the consumer is likely to choose.

Are people that petty? Wow.

Ivan Seeking said:

Yep, one more way for people to deny that they've gotten fatter..."I still wear the same size I wore in high school." :rolleyes: Well, I KNOW I've gained weight since high school, and I wear two sizes SMALLER than I did then! :bugeye: It's a pain in the neck to try on clothes, because I pretty much have to grab one of every size on the rack to find out what size I'm going to fit with that manufacturer. Something is wrong when my closet has everything from size 6 to size 12 and they are all my size! :grumpy:

Moonbear said:
Yep, one more way for people to deny that they've gotten fatter..."I still wear the same size I wore in high school." :rolleyes:
Not completely true, I a still the same size (if not smaller) than I was about 8 years ago and I am not in denial, I know this because I have kept some of my clothes from then in case in the future there are 90's dress up parties at some point and I have issues with throwing things out. My foot size hasn't grown since I was 8 as well

Moonbear said:
Wow! You really have bought clothes for women, or are a woman, or have really been paying attention to women! :bugeye: :biggrin: :approve:
Most definately not a woman.
Guilty on both other counts. :biggrin:

I was just amazed that no one jumped into point this problem out :confused:

verty said:
Are people that petty? Wow.

And what used to be a size ten in men's shoes is now sold as a size 13. :uhh:

Ivan Seeking said:
And what used to be a size ten in men's shoes is now sold as a size 13. :uhh:

:rofl: Because shoe size correlates to...

foot size. :wink:

rhuthwaite said:
Not completely true, I a still the same size (if not smaller) than I was about 8 years ago and I am not in denial, I know this because I have kept some of my clothes from then in case in the future there are 90's dress up parties at some point and I have issues with throwing things out. My foot size hasn't grown since I was 8 as well

But are you still the same clothing size? Then again, I'm not sure 8 years is enough time to have seen the change. It was something that happened more in the 90s, so by the end of the 90s, the sizes had already changed. Nonetheless, there is no standard whatsoever. If you are faithful to one or two brands, you might not notice, but if you buy across a range of brands, you may have noticed that every brand is sized differently, even different styles of the same brand will be sized differently.

Moonbear said:
Something is wrong when my closet has everything from size 6 to size 12 and they are all my size! :grumpy:

I don't know why but this is hilarious :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
But are you still the same clothing size? Then again, I'm not sure 8 years is enough time to have seen the change. It was something that happened more in the 90s, so by the end of the 90s, the sizes had already changed. Nonetheless, there is no standard whatsoever. If you are faithful to one or two brands, you might not notice, but if you buy across a range of brands, you may have noticed that every brand is sized differently, even different styles of the same brand will be sized differently.

8 years ago I was 10 (don't have a lot of time behind me) so the style of clothes I wear has changed but I can still fit into kids clothing (not that I really want to they don't look as good when you've developed curves) but the number of the size I fit into is smaller than it use to be

When I was a freshmen in high school, I wore medium sized t-shirts. Now as a senior, I wear mostly small and some medium. WTF

1. How do I convert American clothing sizes to British sizes?

In general, American sizes tend to run one size larger than British sizes. For example, a size 6 in the US would be equivalent to a size 8 in the UK. It is important to note that sizes may vary between different clothing brands, so it is always best to consult a size chart provided by the specific brand.

2. What is the difference between American and British clothing sizes?

The main difference between American and British clothing sizes is the way they are measured. American sizes are based on the body measurements in inches, while British sizes are based on the body measurements in centimeters. Additionally, American sizes tend to run larger than British sizes.

3. Are there any specific conversion charts for American to British clothing sizes?

Yes, there are many conversion charts available online that can help you convert American sizes to British sizes. You can also find size conversion charts on the websites of popular clothing brands that cater to both American and British markets.

4. Is it better to size up or down when converting American sizes to British sizes?

It is generally recommended to size up when converting from American to British sizes. As mentioned earlier, American sizes tend to run larger than British sizes, so it is safer to go up a size to ensure a better fit.

5. Can I use the same size for both American and British clothing brands?

No, it is not recommended to assume that your size in one country will be the same in another. It is always best to consult a size chart or try on the clothing before purchasing to ensure the best fit. Sizes may vary between different brands, even within the same country.