Good intro electrical engineering textbook?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a better alternative textbook for an introductory Electrical Engineering course. The moderator, "Berkeman," recommends "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill, but the original poster is looking for a more comprehensive introductory text. Another user suggests "Electrical Engineering Uncovered" as a potential option. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of understanding electrical concepts and the limited examples and practice problems in the current textbook.
psycovic23
Hey,
I'm currently in an intro to EE course, and our textbook is horrendous (Hambley's Electrical Engineering Principles and Applications). Does anyone have a suggestion on a better alternative that provides a lot of practice problems/answers?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Berkeman, the moderator for this forum, recommends

"The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill

as a good intro level book.

NoTime said:
Berkeman, the moderator for this forum, recommends

"The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill

as a good intro level book.

Thanks NoTime. The AofE is more of a basic electronics textbook instead of an intro EE text, though. I still recommend reading it cover to cover no matter what you are studying in electronics, though. And I fround out about it because it was in the textbook bookshelf of a buddy who went through MIT.

To the original poster (OP) -- what subjects are you looking to find an augmentation text fo within EE?

I tried reading through AoE once, but it was way over my head.

@Berkeman - None in particular, just a better intro EE book as a whole. The textbook I'm using now has really poor examples and very few practice problems.

psycovic23 said:
I tried reading through AoE once, but it was way over my head.

@Berkeman - None in particular, just a better intro EE book as a whole. The textbook I'm using now has really poor examples and very few practice problems.

It's been forever since I took Intro to EE.
I don't know what they cover nowadays, but then it was mostly about voltage, current, resistance and the mathematical relationships between the three. Plus how to use some test equipment.

If you have had no prior experience with these concepts they can be tough to comprehend.

Perhaps if you post a question with what you think about the particular item you are asking about.

we used Electrical Engineering Uncovered.. book was ok - try that out.

What is the best introductory electrical engineering textbook?

The best textbook will depend on your individual learning style and needs. Some popular options include "Introduction to Electric Circuits" by Dorf and Svoboda, "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Alexander and Sadiku, and "Principles of Electric Circuits" by Floyd.

What topics are typically covered in an introductory electrical engineering textbook?

Introductory textbooks typically cover topics such as basic circuit analysis, resistive circuits, capacitors and inductors, AC circuits, and basic electronics. They may also include information on digital logic and microcontrollers.

Do I need any prior knowledge to understand an introductory electrical engineering textbook?

It is helpful to have a basic understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and physics before diving into an introductory electrical engineering textbook. However, many textbooks also include review sections or appendices for these subjects.

Are there any online resources or supplementary materials that accompany introductory electrical engineering textbooks?

Many textbooks offer online resources such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and additional study materials. Some publishers also offer access to online learning platforms with their textbooks.

How can I determine which introductory electrical engineering textbook is right for me?

Consider your learning style, the level of detail you need, and your budget when choosing a textbook. You may also want to read reviews and compare the table of contents of different textbooks to find one that aligns with your goals and needs.