Calculating generator function in canonical transformation

In summary, to find the generator function for a canonical transformation with new canonical variables given in terms of old variables, you can refer to classical mechanics textbooks such as Goldstein. For a type 2 transformation, the generator function is F2(q,P,t) and can be determined by integrating the old momentum (px) with the new coordinate (x') and adding a term for the missing quantity. In this example, the generator function is F2 = (mV+px')x - Vtpx'.
Sourabh N
I'm searching for an example of how to find out generator function for a canonical transformation, when new canonical variables are given in terms of old variables. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
See any classical mechanics textbook, such as Goldstein.

Let us take, for example, a generator function of type 2 (please see goldstein), i.e , F2(q,P,t) function of the old coordinates (q) and the new momenta (P), and consider the following non-relativistic transformation:

x=x'+Vt , x'- new (spacial) coordinate
t=t' , (time remains the same)

as you can see, you will also have to know how the momenta transforms (in order to determine F2)

px=mV+px' , px' new momentum (px'=P, if you prefer)

For the type 2 generator function,

p=dF2/dq (partial derivative)
Q=dF2/dP (partial derivative)

So, all you have to do is integrate, i.e

px is your old momentum, therefore F2 = (mV+px')x + A
now let's determine A,

"A" is not a constant because if you take dF2/dP it won't equal the new momenta. There's still a " - Vtpx' "
lacking in the equation (with the minus sign included).
Well if that quatity is missing , all we have to do is add it to the equation (A=-Vtpx').

So here it is, the F2(q,P,t) generator function for this non-relativistic transformation is:

F2 = (mV+px')x - Vtpx'

I down know if there is another (better) way to do it, but I hope it helps.

Best regards

Rico B.

1. What is a generator function in canonical transformation?

A generator function in canonical transformation is a mathematical function that helps to establish a relationship between old and new coordinates in a system. It is used to generate a transformation that preserves the symplectic structure of the system.

2. How is a generator function calculated?

A generator function is typically calculated by using the Hamilton-Jacobi equation, which involves finding a solution to a partial differential equation. This solution can then be used to determine the generator function and the corresponding transformation.

3. What is the importance of calculating a generator function?

Calculating a generator function is important because it allows us to find a transformation that preserves the symplectic structure of a system. This helps to simplify the equations of motion and makes it easier to analyze the dynamics of the system.

4. Can a generator function be calculated for any system?

Yes, a generator function can be calculated for any system as long as it satisfies certain conditions. These conditions include having a symplectic structure and being able to be described by a Hamiltonian function.

5. What are some applications of calculating a generator function?

Calculating a generator function is useful in many areas of physics and engineering, such as in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and control theory. It is also used in fields like celestial mechanics and fluid dynamics to study the behavior of complex systems.