Finding the angular speed in rpm

In summary: As the ride rotates faster, the normal force decreases and the friction force increases, keeping the riders from sliding down the wall. The minimum angular speed required for the ride to be safe is when the maximum static coefficient of friction (0.60) is used, giving an equation of Fnet = 0.60mg = (mv^2)/r. Solving for the angular velocity, we get w = sqrt(0.60g/r).
lmc489
In an old-fashioned amusement park ride, passengers stand inside a 4.9-m-diameter hollow steel cylinder with their backs against the wall. The cylinder begins to rotate about a vertical axis. Then the floor on which the passengers are standing suddenly drops away! If all goes well, the passengers will "stick" to the wall and not slide. Clothing has a static coefficient of friction against steel in the range 0.60 to 1.0 and a kinetic coefficient in the range 0.40 to 0.70. A sign next to the entrance says "No children under 30 kg allowed."

What is the minimum angular speed, in , for which the ride is safe?

I have no idea how to go about this problem.
I know angular velocity is w = v/r
but i just don't know how to apply it to get the answer to this question. someone help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
lmc489 said:
In an old-fashioned amusement park ride, passengers stand inside a 4.9-m-diameter hollow steel cylinder with their backs against the wall. The cylinder begins to rotate about a vertical axis. Then the floor on which the passengers are standing suddenly drops away! If all goes well, the passengers will "stick" to the wall and not slide. Clothing has a static coefficient of friction against steel in the range 0.60 to 1.0 and a kinetic coefficient in the range 0.40 to 0.70. A sign next to the entrance says "No children under 30 kg allowed."

What is the minimum angular speed, in , for which the ride is safe?

but i just don't know how to apply it to get the answer to this question. someone help please!
Welcome to Physics Forums!

When the cylinder is rotating and the riders are stationary against the wall, what can you say about the forces in the vertical direction?

Moderation note: I've moved this from Adv. Phys. to Intro. Phys.

Welcome to PF!

lmc489 said:

Hi lmc489! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: use centripetal acceleration :wink:

EDIT: oooh! Hi Hoot! You beat me to it! :biggrin:

so how do you do this problem?

lmc489 said:
so how do you do this problem?
We're not going to do it for you! Have you thought about the above replies?

... if the riders aren't moving up or down, then the only forces that matter are in the x direction, right? the forces in the y direction must cancel.

(well, not move, but accelerate, i guess)

is the force that is moving the people in the ride the friction they have against the wall?

thoughts:

if the person is sticking to the wall, then the net force in the y direction is zero. so what must be moving the person around the circle is the friction between their clothing and the steel wall behind them. this has to be static friction... because otherwise, the person would be sliding all over the place.

so... Fnet = fs = UsN (where Us is the static coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force)
because I'm trying to find the slowest angular speed, i want to use the lower of the two coefficients of static friction.
and N is going to be equal to mg, or 30 kg (the lightest a kid on the ride can be) times acceleration due to gravity.

this force of friction will have to equal (mv^2)/r

and then the v there can be turned into angular velocity using the w= v/r equation (and then converted to proper units using dimensional analysis...)

does that make sense?

i got it! thank you!

hddock said:
thoughts:

if the person is sticking to the wall, then the net force in the y direction is zero. so what must be moving the person around the circle is the friction between their clothing and the steel wall behind them. this has to be static friction... because otherwise, the person would be sliding all over the place.

so... Fnet = fs = UsN (where Us is the static coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force)
because I'm trying to find the slowest angular speed, i want to use the lower of the two coefficients of static friction.
and N is going to be equal to mg, or 30 kg (the lightest a kid on the ride can be) times acceleration due to gravity.

and then the v there can be turned into angular velocity using the w= v/r equation (and then converted to proper units using dimensional analysis...)

does that make sense?
No this does not make sense, but you're on the right lines. The frictional force acts vertically upwards, the centripetal forces acts, by definition towards the centre of rotation. Therefore, the frictional force is perpendicular to the centripetal force! So how can the frictional force be responsible for the centripetal force?

Welcome to PF!

hddock said:
... if the riders aren't moving up or down, then the only forces that matter are in the x direction, right? the forces in the y direction must cancel.

(well, not move, but accelerate, i guess)

is the force that is moving the people in the ride the friction they have against the wall?
hddock said:
thoughts:

does that make sense?

Hi hddock! Welcome to PF! :smile:

But please don't give such extensive answers (even if they're right) …

on this forum, we aim to give hints, so that OPs do the problems themselves … if the OP is given too much detail, they won't have had enough practice to do it in the exam …

and please don't give extra help when the OP hasn't had the chance to react to the previous help.

The OP may thank you, and may get extra marks for it, but it's cheating, and it won't help in the exam.

Your help would have been fine if you had stopped at your first answer. :wink:

Look at the style of Hootenanny's reply and mine, and help by pushing rather than dragging. :smile:

1. What is angular speed in rpm?

Angular speed in rpm (revolutions per minute) refers to the rate at which an object or particle rotates around a fixed axis, measured in revolutions per minute. It is a measure of how fast an object is spinning.

2. How is angular speed in rpm calculated?

Angular speed in rpm can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement (in radians) by the time it takes to complete one revolution (in minutes). This can be represented by the formula: Angular Speed (rpm) = Angular Displacement (radians) / Time (minutes).

3. What is the difference between angular speed and linear speed?

Angular speed refers to the rate of rotation around a fixed axis, while linear speed refers to the rate of motion in a straight line. Angular speed is measured in radians per minute, while linear speed is measured in meters per second.

4. How does angular speed affect an object's motion?

The angular speed of an object determines the rate at which it rotates around a fixed axis. This, in turn, can affect the object's motion, such as its velocity and acceleration. For example, if an object has a higher angular speed, it will rotate faster and cover more distance in the same amount of time.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding angular speed in rpm?

Finding angular speed in rpm is essential in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports. It is used to analyze the motion of rotating objects, such as gears, turbines, and wheels. In sports, it can be used to measure the speed of a spinning ball or the rotation of an athlete's body during a movement. It is also crucial in understanding the concepts of centrifugal force and angular momentum.