Is There Really a Santa Claus? A Response to Virginia's Letter in 1897

• Thread starter Richard87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discussion
In summary: At seven years old, my parents made the big mistake of shopping for the gifts that I wanted while bringing along my brother and me to the department store and telling me that these gifts were not for not me nor my brother , but for the salvation army, even though those were the exact gifts tha we requested. Thats when I found out that the story of santa claus had been a shamIn summary, when someone finds out that there is no Santa Claus, they may feel a range of emotions, including sadness, excitement, and disbelief.
Richard87
How did you feel when you found out that there was no Santa Claus (if you ever believed)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Richard87 said:
How did you feel when you found out that there was no Santa Claus (if you ever believed)?
I had it figured out and then was really happy when my parents let me play Santa for my younger siblings. :approve:

I never believed in Santa. In fact, I can't even imagine my dad telling me (or any kid, actually) such a thing.

Richard87 said:

I felt like a little scientist who has discovered a new fact about the world.

Richard87 said:

What are you talking about? :frown:

What do you mean "there is no Santa" ?

edit

Hi MIH :smile:

I figured it out before my parents told me, so it wasn't any big deal. Actually, what was more of a big deal was trying to pretend I still believed in Santa when my parents talked about it because I was afraid they might stop giving me gifts from Santa! Once I found out I had at least 2 more years of Santa gifts to keep up the illusion for my younger sister, all was fine again. :biggrin:

lisab said:
I never believed in Santa. In fact, I can't even imagine my dad telling me (or any kid, actually) such a thing.
Ahhh, that's sad. Part of the fun of christmas is showing your parents it's not real. There is a lot of satisfaction in blowing their cover, then you get to do it to your younger sibilings. Just a fun thing.

Evo said:
Ahhh, that's sad. Part of the fun of christmas is showing your parents it's not real. There is a lot of satisfaction in blowing their cover, then you get to do it to your younger sibilings. Just a fun thing.

Ah, my dad was way too analytical and practical for make-believe. He did, however, spend hours explaining engineering things to me...for example, how a vacuum works :smile:.

You're all crazy. Except for Humanino.

At seven years old , my parents made the big mistake of shopping for the gifts that I wanted while bringing along my brother and me to the department store and telling me that these gifts were not for not me nor my brother , but for the salvation army, even though those were the exact gifts tha we requested. Thats when I found out that the story of santa claus had been a sham

Richard87 said:
WHAT? No Santa Claus. : Santa is alive.LOL! There's "Santa for Hire Nationwide."
*Santa Claus for your Company Party Planners or Special Events
*Natural Bearded Santa Claus for a Photo Shoot at your Photo Studio, your Store or your Mall
*Providing Santa to Party Planners and Entertainment Companies
*Santa Claus actors for Staffing Agencies, Casting Agencies, Casting Directors, Movies, TV ads.
http://www.santaforhire.com/

LOL, only on the PF.

At about 8-ish, I was pretty sure there was no real Santa, just a tradition, but my parents still pushed it. This despite my dad at the time spending hours and hours sketching mechanical and other concepts for me on dinner napkins after our nightly family dinners, teaching me how things in the real world worked.

So naturally the next Christmas I was skeptical, so I laid a couple of prove-it traps for Santa. On Christmas eve, I sneakily smoothed out the ashes in the hearth when nobody was in the living room (we hadn't made a fire that night), and moved a mat slightly against the front door (in case Santa came in that way). I would know for sure if Santa had brought the gifts the next day!

Dang, I got up, and the mat had been straightened out (not moved by the door), and the ashes in the fireplace had been cleaned out (sneaky parents!), so no conclusive evidence. But a couple days later in the YMCA locker room after a Judo lesson, the older boys were laughing about Christmas and how parents were fooling their kids, and I was not a happy camper. :grumpy:

Likes gracy
I believe for Lauren Graham and keep a costume in my closet special.

I think I was around 6 and I was devastated. I think I became skeptical from that.

I have never stopped believing in Santa Claus.

I can't remember when I figured it out, though my parents did go quite far to try and pretend. My mum would send us presents from Santa which would have labels she'd written with her left hand, and which were wrapped in completely different wrapping paper to any of our other presents. They also used to eat the minced pie, and take a bite out of the carrot we left for the reindeer.

I must be too old, I don't remember believing.

I'm not 100%, but it was somewhere from 6-8. I didn't "feel" anything, as it made a lot more since for there not to be a Santa. I do remember keeping up the sham for my little sister though.

It was around 5 years of age, for me. I overheard my mother and my aunt talking about a particular family that we knew (much poorer than we were) that hoped to be able to afford shoes for at least a couple of the kids. We didn't get much for Christmas, kids from well-to-do families often got a lot of really nice stuff, and poorer kids got less than we did. Being "good" for Santa obviously had nothing to do with that.

I remember asking my grandmother (Nana) whether Santa was real or not. I already was pretty sure that he wasn't but I wanted her to confirm it for me. Secretly I wanted her to tell me that he was real, but she wouldn't do that to me because I asked her. (I love my Nana.) I think that I understood why they did it, because it is fun for little kids; but I think that it kind of hurts to realize that your parents were lying in a way. I wanted her to confirm that he was real not so much to do with presents, but because I didn't think that they would make something up.

lol, on the lighter side I think mall Santa's are what gave the whole thing away for me.

Last edited:
Santa Claus actually did exist up until 1967 when the Big Mac was released.

Gear300 said:
Santa Claus actually did exist up until 1967 when the Big Mac was released.

I'm not following. Are you saying Big Macs are actually Claus Burgers?

zoobyshoe said:
I'm not following. Are you saying Big Macs are actually Claus Burgers?

No. I'm saying he had a stroke and died from it.

Gear300 said:
No. I'm saying he had a stroke and died from it.

That's crazy. Big Macs aren't real.

zoobyshoe said:
That's crazy. Big Macs aren't real.

Ha!...that's like saying Santa Claus isn't real.

Gear300 said:
Ha!...that's like saying Santa Claus isn't real.
Well, it's more like saying "I never had sex with that woman. Miss Lewinski."

zoobyshoe said:

"Oh, I'm sorry. Could you define sex for me?..."
"...****..."
":uhh: Well, then yes I totally did."

zoobyshoe said:
Pattonias said:
"Oh, I'm sorry. Could you define sex for me?..."
"...****..."
":uhh: Well, then yes I totally did."

Yeah...I suppose...truth tends to be relative...but going back to the main point of this thread: Big Macs are real, which proves that Santa Claus is real.

Gear300 said:
Yeah...I suppose...truth tends to be relative...but going back to the main point of this thread: Big Macs are real, which proves that Santa Claus is real.

But sex is not real. Not for Santa. There's no Santa Jr.

zoobyshoe said:
But sex is not real. Not for Santa. There's no Santa Jr.

I don't get it...we're talking about Big Macs and Santa...what does sex have to do with Santa?

Gear300 said:
I don't get it...we're talking about Big Macs and Santa...what does sex have to do with Santa?

Nothing. I'm thinking Mrs Santa must consequently be very horny, and I'm wondering if she looks at least as good as Monica Lewinski.

zoobyshoe said:
Nothing. I'm thinking Mrs Santa must consequently be very horny, and I'm wondering if she looks at least as good as Monica Lewinski.

I doubt Santa would like where this is going if he was actually reading all this.

Y'all are going to end up on the Naughty List this year.

Gear300 said:
I doubt Santa would like where this is going if he was actually reading all this.

I'm thinkin' of heading up there Xmas eve and not having sex with that woman. Mrs. Claus.