Velocity addition expressed as gamma

In summary: Ah, okay, I didn't see that. So we have the same thing, I guess I can't really say it's right or wrong, it's just algebra, but we have z^2 = x^2 y^2 + 2 x y sqrt(x^2 - 1) sqrt(y^2 - 1) + x^2 y^2z^2 = 2 x^2 y^2 + 2 x y sqrt(x^2 - 1) sqrt(y^2 - 1)z = x y + sqrt(x^2 - 1) sqrt(y^2 - 1)I kind of like your way better, because it's more symmetric, but I guess
granpa
if object A is moving with gamma=x in one direction and
object B is moving with gamma=y in the opposite direction then
what is the gamma factor for object A as it would be calculated by object B?

I know the velocity addition rule for relativity but I can't find anything on the net about velocity expressed as gamma.

Physics news on Phys.org
granpa said:
if object A is moving with gamma=x in one direction and
object B is moving with gamma=y in the opposite direction then
what is the gamma factor for object A as it would be calculated by object B?

I know the velocity addition rule for relativity but I can't find anything on the net about velocity expressed as gamma.
Well, we would have

x = sqrt(1 - (vA / c)^2), so rearranging gives

x^2 = 1 - (vA / c)^2

(vA / c)^2 = 1 - x^2

vA / c = sqrt(1 - x^2)

Likewise for y, we would have

vB / c = sqrt(1 - y^2)

and similarly for how B measures A, we would have

vBA / c = sqrt(1 - z^2)

So applying the relativistic velocity addition formula, we get

vBA / c = (vA / c + vB / c) / (1 + (vA / c) (vB / c))

sqrt(1 - z^2) = [sqrt(1 - x^2) + sqrt(1 - y^2)] / [1 + sqrt(1 - x^2) sqrt(1 - y^2)]

1 - z^2 = [(1 - x^2) + 2 sqrt(1 - x^2) sqrt(1 - y^2) + (1 - y^2)] / [1 + 2 sqrt(1 - x^2) sqrt(1 - y^2) + (1 - x^2) (1 - y^2)]

1 - z^2 = [2 - x^2 - y^2 + 2 sqrt(1 - x^2) sqrt(1 - y^2)] / [2 - x^2 - y^2 + x^2 y^2 + 2 sqrt(1 - x^2) sqrt(1 - y^2)]

1 - z^2 = 1 - x^2 y^2 / [2 - x^2 - y^2 + x^2 y^2 + 2 sqrt(1 - x^2) sqrt(1 - y^2)]

z^2 = x^2 y^2 / [2 - x^2 - y^2 + 2 sqrt(1 - x^2) sqrt(1 - y^2)]

z^2 = x^2 y^2 / [1 + sqrt(1 - x^2) sqrt(1 - y^2)]^2

z = x y / [1 + sqrt(1 - x^2) sqrt(1 - y^2)]

Last edited:
good lord.

well thank you but I think there might be a few errors in there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_factor
3719b9a4cb1799b1c868fe0c68124e3b.png

Last edited:
granpa said:
good lord.

well thank you.
No problem. I do try to be detailed. :smile:

Oops, you're right, I used the inverse of gamma, sorry. I so used to thinking of time dilation and length contraction as sqrt(1 - (v/c)^2) rather than the inverse of gamma. Okay, so we would need to use the inverse for x, y, and z from what I had before, giving

1 / z = (1 / x) (1 / y) / [1 + sqrt(1 - 1 / x^2) sqrt(1 - 1 / y^2)]

z = x y [1 + sqrt(x^2 - 1) sqrt(y^2 - 1) / (x y)]

z = x y + sqrt(x^2 - 1) sqrt(y^2 - 1)

Last edited:
so for very big x and y its close to xy?

I had that vague impression from something that i read somewhere but couldn't find it anywhere

granpa said:
so for very big x and y its close to xy?

I had that vague impression from something that i read somewhere but couldn't find it anywhere
That should have been z = x y + sqrt(x^2 - 1) sqrt(y^2 - 1), sorry again, I editted it. For very big x and y, it's close to 2 x y.

granpa said:
Looks like that inverse gamma thing might be getting both of us now, unless that's my fault. :smile: For gamma, you'd have

x = 1 / sqrt(1 - (v / c)^2)

1 / x = sqrt(1 - (v / c)^2)

(1 / x)^2 = 1 - (v / c)^2

(v / c)^2 = 1 - (1 / x)^2

v / c = sqrt(1 - 1 / x^2)

So for Wolfram, you'd want to enter

sqrt(1 - 1/z^2) = (sqrt(1 - 1/x^2) + sqrt(1 - 1/y^2)) / (1 + sqrt(1 - 1/x^2) sqrt(1 - 1/y^2))

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...-+1/y^2))&asynchronous=pod&s=42&incTime=true"

but Wolfram gives the solution for z as the square of what I gave within a square root form.

Last edited by a moderator:
grav-universe said:
Oops, you're right, I used the inverse of gamma, sorry. I so used to thinking of time dilation and length contraction as sqrt(1 - (v/c)^2) rather than the inverse of gamma. Okay, so we would need to use the inverse for x, y, and z from what I had before, giving

1 / z = (1 / x) (1 / y) / [1 + sqrt(1 - 1 / x^2) sqrt(1 - 1 / y^2)]

z = x y [1 + sqrt(x^2 - 1) sqrt(y^2 - 1) / (x y)]

I get the same result as you got in #6 independently, and I think I have the gammas the right way up, so ...

--> z = x y + sqrt[(x^2 - 1)(y^2 - 1)]

--> z = x y + sqrt[x^2 y^2 - x^2 - y^2 + 1]

--> z = x y + sqrt[x^2 y^2 (1 - 1/x^2 - 1/y^2 + 1/(x^2 y^2))]

which for large x and y approximates to 2xy (as you said).

I entered:
solve z = sqrt(-1/(((sqrt(1 - 1/x^2) + sqrt(1 - 1/y^2)) / (1 + sqrt(1 - 1/x^2) sqrt(1 - 1/y^2)))^2 - 1))​

and got:
z = sqrt(2 x^2 y^2+2 sqrt(((x-1) (x+1))/x^2) x^2 y^2 sqrt(((y-1) (y+1))/y^2)-x^2-y^2+1)​

granpa said:
I entered:
solve z = sqrt(-1/(((sqrt(1 - 1/x^2) + sqrt(1 - 1/y^2)) / (1 + sqrt(1 - 1/x^2) sqrt(1 - 1/y^2)))^2 - 1))​

and got:
z = sqrt(2 x^2 y^2+2 sqrt(((x-1) (x+1))/x^2) x^2 y^2 sqrt(((y-1) (y+1))/y^2)-x^2-y^2+1)​
Right, that's it. That works out to

z = sqrt(2 x^2 y^2+2 sqrt(((x-1) (x+1))/x^2) x^2 y^2 sqrt(((y-1) (y+1))/y^2)-x^2-y^2+1)

z = sqrt[2 x^2 y^2 + 2 x y sqrt(x^2 - 1) sqrt(y^2 - 1) - x^2 - y^2 + 1]

If we square what we got earlier, then

z^2 = x^2 y^2 + 2 x y sqrt(x^2 - 1) sqrt(y^2 - 1) + (x^2 - 1) (y^2 - 1)

z^2 = x^2 y^2 + 2 x y sqrt(x^2 - 1) sqrt(y^2 - 1) + x^2 y^2 - x^2 - y^2 + 1

z^2 = 2 x^2 y^2 + 2 x y sqrt(x^2 - 1) sqrt(y^2 - 1) - x^2 - y^2 + 1

and then taking the square root of z, then, we get

z = sqrt[2 x^2 y^2 + 2 x y sqrt(x^-1) sqrt(y^2 - 1) - x^2 - y^2 + 1]

the same as before. Wolfram just won't take it out of square rooted form.

Last edited:
rapidity (theta, the Minkowski-angle) can be your friend...
tweak your intuition for euclidean-trigonometry...

let x=cosh(theta_A)... where v_A=tanh(theta_A)
let y=cosh(-theta_B)

you want...
z=cosh( theta_A - (-theta_B)) ... the gamma-factor for a relative rapidity
=cosh( theta_A + theta_B )
=cosh( theta_A ) cosh( theta_B) + sinh( theta_A ) sinh( theta_B)
= x y + sqrt(x^2-1) sqrt(y^2-1) ... as grav-universe got in (#2 and #6)

where I used cosh^2(theta)-sinh^2(theta)=1
to write sinh^2(theta)=cosh^2(theta)-1
and that cosh(-theta)=cosh(theta).

Last edited:

1. What is velocity addition expressed as gamma?

Velocity addition expressed as gamma is a mathematical concept that explains how velocities are combined in special relativity. It is also known as the Lorentz transformation or Einstein's velocity addition formula.

2. How is velocity addition expressed as gamma derived?

Velocity addition expressed as gamma is derived from the principles of special relativity, which state that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. It is based on the Lorentz transformation equations, which describe how space and time coordinates change between reference frames.

3. What is the significance of gamma in velocity addition?

Gamma (represented by the symbol γ) is a constant factor that appears in the Lorentz transformation equations and is used to express the relationship between velocities in different reference frames. It is also known as the Lorentz factor and is commonly used in calculations involving special relativity.

4. How does velocity addition expressed as gamma differ from classical velocity addition?

Classical velocity addition is based on the Galilean transformation equations and assumes that time and space are absolute. In contrast, velocity addition expressed as gamma is based on the Lorentz transformation equations and takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity.

5. Can velocity addition expressed as gamma be applied to speeds greater than the speed of light?

No, velocity addition expressed as gamma is a concept that only applies to speeds less than or equal to the speed of light. According to the principles of special relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.