More efficient to reheat water or keep it at constant temp.?

In summary, the most energy efficient option would depend on the level of insulation of the water heater and the efficiency of the heat source used to heat the home. If the tank is well insulated or the heat source has the same efficiency, it does not matter which option is chosen. However, if the heat source is less efficient or if air conditioning is being used to cool the room, it may be more energy efficient to reheat the water as needed rather than keeping it constantly at 195 degrees. Additionally, if the central heating and water heater timers are not synchronized, using the water heater would use more energy.
safro
A relatively simple question from a physics ignoramus:

I have a kitchen water heater with a 4 liter capacity. I can opt to reheat the water to 195 degrees F every time I want hot water (roughly every 2 hours over the course of the day) or I can keep the water constantly at 195 degrees. Which option is more energy efficient?

Some pertinent information:
The temperature of the room where I keep the water heater is 65 degrees F. Unfortunately I don't have a measure of the insulation of the heater.

My own intuition from some barely recalled high school physics: energy input is the same in either case.

Science news on Phys.org
The rate of heat loss is proportional to the difference in temperature between water and the room. From that standpoint it would be better to reheat the water. This could be offset if for some reason the reheat process was less efficient than the maintain heat process, but I'm not sure if that could happen.

safro said:
A relatively simple question from a physics ignoramus:

I have a kitchen water heater with a 4 liter capacity. I can opt to reheat the water to 195 degrees F every time I want hot water (roughly every 2 hours over the course of the day) or I can keep the water constantly at 195 degrees. Which option is more energy efficient?

Some pertinent information:
The temperature of the room where I keep the water heater is 65 degrees F. Unfortunately I don't have a measure of the insulation of the heater.

My own intuition from some barely recalled high school physics: energy input is the same in either case.
If the tank is well insulated, it does not matter. If it is not well insulated but you use a heat source with the same efficiency to heat your home, it does not matter either.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
If the tank is well insulated, it does not matter. If it is not well insulated but you use a heat source with the same efficiency to heat your home, it does not matter either.
Unless it's 80 degrees outside, and air conditioning is being used to cool down the room (to 65 degrees?).

Only if the central heating timer and the water heater timer are set the same, CH off Water on uses more energy.

1. Is it more efficient to reheat water every time it is needed?

No, it is not more efficient to reheat water every time it is needed. This process requires more energy and can lead to wasted water.

2. How can I keep water at a constant temperature?

You can keep water at a constant temperature by using a water heater or a thermos. These tools are designed to maintain the desired temperature of the water without using excess energy.

3. How often should I reheat water?

The frequency of reheating water depends on your personal preference and needs. However, it is generally more efficient to reheat larger quantities of water less frequently rather than small amounts of water frequently.

4. Can keeping water at a constant temperature save money on energy bills?

Yes, keeping water at a constant temperature can save money on energy bills. This is because it requires less energy to maintain a constant temperature compared to reheating water multiple times.

5. Is there a specific temperature that is most efficient for water?

The efficiency of water temperature depends on its intended use. For general household use, a temperature of 120-140 degrees Fahrenheit is recommended for both safety and efficiency purposes.