How can I select ( identify) the exercise which I have solve in Dummit book ?

In summary, when selecting exercise to solve in the Dummit book, it may be helpful to identify which concepts you want to cover the most thoroughly for future purposes. There are no strict rules for selecting exercises, but it is recommended to do a variety of exercises and focus on the more difficult ones. It is important to challenge yourself, but not to the point of being overwhelmed. Self-studying requires finding a balance between doing too many or too few exercises.
Maths Lover
How can I select ( identify) the exercise which I have solve in Dummit book ?
and avoid these exercises which I have not to solve ?

I talk about Identified book " Dummit and Foote "

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there are any firm rules to it. Do them all if you want a lot of practice. That's probably overkill. Just look at them and try to get enough practice with each concept. It may help if you can identify which concepts you want to cover the most thoroughly for later purposes. That would depend on what subjects you want to study later.

homeomorphic said:
I don't think there are any firm rules to it. Do them all if you want a lot of practice. That's probably overkill. Just look at them and try to get enough practice with each concept. It may help if you can identify which concepts you want to cover the most thoroughly for later purposes. That would depend on what subjects you want to study later.

in the truth , I didn't select the subject which I want to use abstract algebra in it later , because I don't know what is the subjects I can use abstract algebra in it !

moreover , there is no teacher can help me in this matter , I study Abstract Algebra because I think it's an interesting subject ,

anyway , I want to devolope my knowledge in maths to a high level , so I thing I have to study Abstract algebra , linear algebra , set theory and number theory and other subjects
before I catch university .

Everyone is different, but the following are some approaches I have used when self-studying.

Look at the exercises. If any look particularily scary or you have no idea how to begin on some, then do that exercise.

Another approach is simply to do the last 5 exercises or so in each section (unless they are very similar, then just pick 5 late exercises that look different). They tend to be the hardest so if you have problems with those try some of the earlier ones that looks to have a similar theme, and once you understand the ideas go back to the later ones.

The idea is that ideally you should be able to solve all exercises, but only actually solve a few. It is pretty hard to pick exercises because books like Dummit Foote are optimized for classroom exposition, and therefore way too many exercises are included so professors can pick and choose.

If you tend to breeze through all exercises, then you may be doing too many. If you tend to struggle with most exercises you are likely doing too few, or too easy ones.

To select and identify exercises in the Dummit and Foote book, you can follow these steps:

1. Familiarize yourself with the structure of the book: The book is organized by chapters and sections, with each section containing a number of exercises. Knowing the layout of the book will help you navigate and locate specific exercises more easily.

2. Use the table of contents: The table of contents provides an overview of the topics covered in each chapter. You can use this to identify which chapter and section contains the exercises you have solved or need to solve.

3. Refer to the index: The index at the back of the book lists key terms and concepts discussed in the book. You can use this to search for specific exercises related to a particular topic.

4. Make use of exercise numbering: Each exercise in the book is numbered, which can help you identify and keep track of the ones you have solved. You can also use this to avoid exercises that you have not solved by skipping over the ones that are not numbered.

5. Use the solution manual: If available, the solution manual can provide a list of exercises and their corresponding chapter and section numbers. You can use this as a reference to identify and select the exercises you have solved.

Overall, it is important to have a clear understanding of the book's structure and to make use of the provided resources to select and identify exercises in the Dummit and Foote book.

1. How do I know which exercise I have solved in the Dummit book?

The best way to identify the exercise you have solved in the Dummit book is by checking the chapter and section number of the exercise. Each exercise is labeled with a chapter and section number, making it easy to locate within the book.

2. Can I use the index to find the exercise I have solved?

Yes, the index of the Dummit book is a great resource for finding specific exercises. You can search for keywords or topics related to the exercise you have solved to locate it in the index. It will also provide the chapter and section number for easy reference.

3. Is there a way to check my answers for the exercises I have solved?

Yes, the Dummit book provides solutions to selected exercises in the back of the book. You can compare your answers to the solutions provided to check your work and ensure you have solved the exercise correctly.

4. How can I find similar exercises to the one I have solved in the Dummit book?

The Dummit book is organized in a way that exercises are grouped together by topic and difficulty level. If you have solved an exercise, you can look for other exercises in the same section or chapter that are similar in nature. You can also use the index to find exercises related to the one you have solved.

5. Can I access the Dummit book exercises online?

While the exercises in the Dummit book are not available online, there are many resources available on the internet that offer similar exercises and practice problems. Some websites also provide solutions to these exercises, allowing you to check your work as you study.