Laplace equation in a square with mixed boundary conditions

In summary, the problem is to solve for T(x,y) in steady state for a square with given boundary conditions, described by the Laplace equation. It is difficult to solve directly due to the mixed boundary conditions, so the problem can be broken down into two simpler problems. One approach is to use the function u(x,y)=C2 for all x and y, which satisfies the boundary conditions. Then, introducing a new function v(x,y)=T(x,y)-u(x,y), the Laplace equation can be rewritten in terms of v and solved using a Fourier series. Adding u back to v gives the solution for T(x,y).
samuelandjw
The length of the side of the square is a. The boundary conditions are the following:
(1) the left edge is kept at temperature T=C2
(2) the bottom edge is kept at temperature T=C1
(3) the top and right edges are perfectly insulated, that is [tex]\dfrac{\partial T}{\partial x}=0,\dfrac{\partial T}{\partial y}=0[/tex]
Solve for [tex]T(x,y)[/tex] in steady state.
The situation is described by the Laplace equation. It would be a bit difficult to directly solve for this problem since this is a mixed BC problem. I want to break it down into several (for example, two) problems that are easier to solve. So far I don't have any idea how to break it down, since the mixed BC makes it difficult to break down the problem. Does anybody have any suggestion?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the value of T(0,0) ( at the left bottom corner) ?
At the left edge T(0,y)=C2
At the bottom edge T(x,0)=C1
Hence T(0,0)=C2=C1 ?

JJacquelin said:
What is the value of T(0,0) ( at the left bottom corner) ?
At the left edge T(0,y)=C2
At the bottom edge T(x,0)=C1
Hence T(0,0)=C2=C1 ?

Not really. IMHO, the value on the corner is not particularly important. And, C1 is not equal to C2.

Of course, I supposed that C1 and C2 are not equal.
My remark was about the wording of conditions (1) and (2) : These conditions are NOT for all the edge length : The corner must be excluded.
It is important to see that the solution will include the Heaviside step function.
Isn't it ?

JJacquelin said:
It is important to see that the solution will include the Heaviside step function.
Isn't it ?

Certainly
[tex]
T(x,y) = \left\{ \begin{array}{r@{\quad}l}
C_2 & x < y \\
C_1 & x > y \\
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]
is a weak solution of Laplace's equation which satisfies the boundary conditions.

Is there a reason why you can't use separation of variables?

Chestermiller said:
Is there a reason why you can't use separation of variables?

Actually, no: if [itex]F(x,y)[/itex] is the solution of Laplace's equation in a unit square subject to [itex]F(x,0) = 1[/itex], [itex]F(0,y) = 0[/itex], [itex]\partial F/\partial x(1,y) = 0[/itex] and [itex]\partial F/\partial y(x,1) = 0[/itex] then the solution of the OP's problem is
[tex]
T(x,y) = C_1F(x/a,y/a) + C_2F(y/a,x/a)
[/tex].

And to find [itex]F(x,y)[/itex], let [itex]k_n = \frac{2n + 1}{2}\pi[/itex] for [itex]n \geq 0[/itex] and use the eigenfunctions
[tex]
f_n(x,y) = \sin(k_n x)Y_n(y)
[/tex]
where
[tex]
Y_n(y) = \cosh(k_ny) - \tanh(k_n)\sinh(k_ny).
[/tex]

pasmith said:
[tex]
Y_n(y) = \cosh(k_ny) - \tanh(k_n)\sinh(k_ny).
[/tex]

I think you can write the y-component solution as [tex]\cosh(k_n(a-y))[/tex]

I think my real problem is:
when the boundary condition on the bottom edge is T(x,0)=f(x), BC on left edge is T(0,y)=0, BC on right and top edges are perfect insulation (suppose we don't care about the values on the four corners), is it correct to obtain the Fourier coefficients using [tex]b_n\cosh(k_n(a))=\int_0^a\sin(k_nx)f(x)dx[/tex], with [tex]k_n=(n+0.5)\pi[/tex].
The thing that bothers me is that the integration interval is not a multiple of the period of the basis function [tex]\sin(k_nx)[/tex].

samuelandjw said:
I think you can write the y-component solution as [tex]\cosh(k_n(a-y))[/tex]

But mine has the advantage that [itex]Y(0) = 1[/itex] (although I could write it as [itex]\cosh(k_n(y-a))/\cosh(k_na)[/itex])

samuelandjw said:
I think my real problem is:
when the boundary condition on the bottom edge is T(x,0)=f(x), BC on left edge is T(0,y)=0, BC on right and top edges are perfect insulation (suppose we don't care about the values on the four corners), is it correct to obtain the Fourier coefficients using [tex]b_n\cosh(k_n(a))=\int_0^a\sin(k_nx)f(x)dx[/tex]
with
[tex]k_n=(n+0.5)\pi[/tex]
If you're integrating between 0 and a then [itex]k_n = (n+0.5)\pi/a[/itex] and you're missing a factor of [itex]\int_0^a \sin^2(k_nx)\,\mathrm{d}x[/itex] on the left hand side of the first equation, but yes.

Integrating
[tex]
I = \int_0^a \sin(k_nx)\sin(k_mx)\,\mathrm{d}x
[/tex]
by parts twice (differentiating the [itex]k_n[/itex] part each time) gives
[tex]I = \frac{k_n^2}{k_m^2}I[/tex]
so that [itex]I = 0[/itex] unless [itex]n = m[/itex], when
[tex]
\int_0^a \sin^2(k_nx)\,\mathrm{d}x =
\int_0^a \frac12(1 - \cos(2k_nx))\,\mathrm{d}x =
\left[\frac12 x - \frac{1}{4k_n} \sin(2k_nx)\right]_0^a = \frac{a}{2}
[/tex]
since [itex]2k_n = (2n+1)\pi/a[/itex].

Just a general point: if [itex]X_k'' = -k^2X_k[/itex], [itex]k > 0[/itex], then
[tex]
\int_a^b X''_k X_l\,\mathrm{d}x = [X_lX_k']_a^b - \int_a^b X_k'X_l'\,\mathrm{d}x
= [X_lX_k' - X_kX_l']_a^b + \int_a^b X_kX_l''\,\mathrm{d}x
[/tex]
so that
[tex]
(l^2 - k^2) \int_a^b X_kX_l\,\mathrm{d}x = [X_lX_k' - X_kX_l']_a^b
[/tex]
so if [itex]k \neq k[/itex]
[tex]
\int_a^b X_kX_l\,\mathrm{d}x = \frac{[X_lX_k' - X_kX_l']_a^b}{(l^2 - k^2)}
[/tex]
Now if we require that, for all [itex]k[/itex], [itex]AX_k(a) + BX_k'(a) = 0[/itex] with [itex]A^2 + B^2 \neq 0[/itex] and [itex]CX_k(b) + DX_k'(b) = 0[/itex] with [itex]C^2 + D^2 \neq 0[/itex] then [itex]X_lX_k' - X_kX_l'[/itex] vanishes at [itex]x = a[/itex] and [itex]x = b[/itex] and the functions [itex]X_k[/itex] will be orthogonal with respect to the inner product
[tex]
\int_a^b f(x)g(x)\,\mathrm{d}x.
[/tex]

Calculating the determinant of a 2x2 matrix shows that if [itex]X_k \neq 0[/itex] then [itex]k[/itex] must be chosen so that
[tex]
(AC + BDk^2)\sin(k(b-a)) + (AD + BC)k\cos(k(b-a)) = 0
[/tex]

Last edited:
samuelandjw said:
The length of the side of the square is a. The boundary conditions are the following:
(1) the left edge is kept at temperature T=C2
(2) the bottom edge is kept at temperature T=C1
(3) the top and right edges are perfectly insulated, that is [tex]\dfrac{\partial T}{\partial x}=0,\dfrac{\partial T}{\partial y}=0[/tex]
Solve for [tex]T(x,y)[/tex] in steady state.
The situation is described by the Laplace equation. It would be a bit difficult to directly solve for this problem since this is a mixed BC problem. I want to break it down into several (for example, two) problems that are easier to solve. So far I don't have any idea how to break it down, since the mixed BC makes it difficult to break down the problem. Does anybody have any suggestion?

Thanks.
The function u(x,y)= C2 for all x and y satisfies U(0)= C2 and [itex]u_x(1)+ u_y(1)= 0+ 0= 0[/itex]. Let v= T- u Then [itex]nabla v= \nabla T= 0[/itex] while v(0, y)= C2- C2= 0 and [itex]v_x(1, y)= T_x(1, y)= 0[/tex].

So let [itex]v(x,y)= \sum_{n=0}^\infty A_n(y) sin(n\pi x/a)[/itex]. The differential equation reduces to [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty A''_n sin(n\pi x/a)- (n\pi/a)\sum_{n= 0}^\infty sin(n\pi x/a)= 0[/itex] which is the same as [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty (A''_n- (n\pi/a)Asin(n\pi x/a)[/itex] which is equivalent to [itex]A''_n- (n\pi/a)A= 0[/itex] for all n. Once you have found the Fourier series for v, add u= C2 to get T(x, y).

Here are some additional thoughts on this problem:

For the specified boundary conditions,

[tex]T(x,y)= \frac{C1+C2}{2}-\frac{(C1-C2)}{2}G(x,y)[/tex]

with

G(x,0) = -1
G(0,y) = +1
G(x,2a) = -1
G(2a,y) = +1

The second pair of boundary conditions, by symmetry, automatically guarantee that the zero flux boundary conditions at x = a and y = a are satisfied. In addition to these conditions, the value of the function G is zero along all the diagonals:

G(ζ,ζ) = 0
G(ζ,-ζ) = 0

Chet

This is a continuation of my previous post. The solution for the function G(x,y) is the analog of the solution to a specific fluid mechanics potential flow problem, and can be expressed analytically in terms of a doubly-infinite sum over an array of point sources and point sinks.

Instead of a single square of side 2a, imagine an infinite array of such squares placed adjacent to one another in the x-y plane, extending infinitely far in all directions. This forms a grid. Place identical point sources or a point sinks alternately at each of the corners of this grid. Fluid flows out of or into each of these point sources or sinks, respectively. The streamlines of the flow will be the lines of constant G in our problem, and the "stream function" values will be directly proportional to G. The stream function for the entire array of sources and sinks is just the sum of the stream functions for the individual sources and sinks. The stream function for an individual source or sink is simple to express analytically.

Chet

1. What is Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in a region. It is used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as heat flow, electrostatics, and fluid dynamics.

2. What is a mixed boundary condition?

A mixed boundary condition is a type of boundary condition where different types of boundary conditions (such as Dirichlet and Neumann conditions) are specified on different parts of the boundary of a region.

3. How is the Laplace equation typically solved in a square with mixed boundary conditions?

The Laplace equation in a square with mixed boundary conditions can be solved using a variety of numerical methods, such as finite difference, finite element, or boundary element methods. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the boundary conditions and the desired accuracy of the solution.

4. What are some applications of Laplace's equation in a square with mixed boundary conditions?

Laplace's equation in a square with mixed boundary conditions has many practical applications in engineering and physics. Some examples include modeling heat transfer in a square-shaped heat sink with different boundary conditions on each side, predicting the electric potential distribution in a square-shaped semiconductor device, and analyzing fluid flow in a square-shaped channel with varying boundary conditions.

5. How are mixed boundary conditions handled in real-world situations?

In real-world situations, mixed boundary conditions can be handled by breaking down the problem into smaller, simpler sub-problems with homogeneous boundary conditions. These sub-problems can then be solved individually and combined to obtain a solution for the original problem. Alternatively, numerical methods can be used to solve the problem directly, taking into account the mixed boundary conditions on the boundaries.