Register to reply

Floor function identity

by eddybob123
Tags: floor, function, identity
Share this thread:
eddybob123
Mar22-13, 12:21 PM
P: 115
Hi all, I found this rather interesting formula online and I was wondering what it means. Could someone explain it to me? All help is appreciated:
http://functions.wolfram.com/Integer...or/16/03/0001/
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
rbj
Mar22-13, 01:23 PM
P: 2,251
Quote Quote by eddybob123 View Post
Hi all, I found this rather interesting formula online and I was wondering what it means. Could someone explain it to me? All help is appreciated:
http://functions.wolfram.com/Integer...or/16/03/0001/
the [itex]\theta[/itex] function is the unit step function, so they are creating a staircase function out of the steps (the infinite summation), and that becomes the floor function.
eddybob123
Mar22-13, 06:03 PM
But what does the z mod 1 mean? I've never seen people use 1 as a modular base before?

micromass
Mar23-13, 12:18 AM
Mentor
P: 18,086
Floor function identity

Quote Quote by eddybob123 View Post
But what does the z mod 1 mean? I've never seen people use 1 as a modular base before?
The notation ##z## mod 1 means that you take the element ##x\in [0,1)## such that ##z-x\in \mathbb{Z}##.

If you wish, you can put an equivalence relation ##x\sim y~\Leftrightarrow ~x-y\in \mathbb{Z}## on ##\mathbb{R}##. We can then look at equivalence classes. It won't be the exact same thing as what I said in my first sentence though.
eddybob123
Mar28-13, 06:17 PM
Are there any formulas that compare any positive real number r with floor[r]? I know that their difference is the fractional part of r, which is {r}, but I mean are there any formulas where you can obtain these values systematically?

Register to reply