Simple question on stoke's first problem

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
In summary, the first problem of Stoke's theorem is a fundamental concept in vector calculus that relates the line integrals of a vector field to the surface integrals of its curl over a closed surface. This theorem provides a powerful tool for evaluating and solving various physical and mathematical problems, making it a crucial topic for students and researchers in the field of mathematics and physics.
member 428835
hey pf! please read this, it's honestly pretty easy although long to read.

in stoke's first problem, we have parallel flow initially at rest and then, instantaneously (i know, unrealistic) one wall starts to move in the x-direction with no acceleration (yes, it magically becomes a velocity). the y-direction is perpendicular to the x direction and is directing toward the other wall. the z-direction is coming "out of the page".

okay, now time for the question.

conservation of mass for incompressible flows yields: $$ \nabla \cdot \vec{U}=0 \Rightarrow \frac{dv}{dy}=0$$ since [itex] \frac{du}{dx}=\frac{dw}{dz}[/itex] are identically zero. my question is, why isn't [itex]\frac{dv}{dy}[/itex] identically zero? i know it equals zero from the above, but how does it exist at all? how is there velocity in the [itex]y[/itex] direction?

it makes sense to me that the other two are zero by inspection, but why not [itex]y[/itex]? to me it seems [itex]\frac{du}{dy}[/itex] would not be zero but that all others would be. please help me understand how there exists y-direction velocity ([itex]y[/itex] )

thanks ahead of time!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your intuition and majority of statements are accurate, just a little variable terminology confusion:
U = u i + v j + w k
For your example: 0<= u <= V where V = wall velocity; v = 0; w = 0
Therefore ∂v/∂x = ∂v/∂y = ∂v/∂z = 0 and ∂w/∂x = ∂w/∂y = ∂w/∂z = 0
∇ dot U = ∂u/∂x + ∂v/∂y + ∂w/∂z = 0 (conservation of mass for incompressible flow)
Since flow is constant in the x direction for a given y, then ∂u/∂x = 0
So indeed ∇ dot U = 0 based upon the above partials.
In summary, since v is the fluid velocity in the y direction, it is zero. Hence ∂v/∂y = 0.
The only fluid flow is in the x direction, and since u varies as a function of y and is not constant, then ∂u/∂y is not zero. The molecules of each horizontal layer collide and change the molecular velocity in the adjacent horizontal layer. For instance for a typical Newtonian fluid
∂u/∂y = - fluid shear stress / viscosity

What is Stoke's first problem?

Stoke's first problem is a fundamental question in fluid mechanics that deals with the flow of a viscous fluid past a solid object. It seeks to understand the forces and motion of the fluid particles as they move around the object.

What is the significance of Stoke's first problem?

The solution to Stoke's first problem has many practical applications, such as predicting drag forces on objects moving through a fluid, designing efficient transportation systems, and understanding the behavior of pollutants in the environment.

What are the assumptions made in solving Stoke's first problem?

The main assumptions in solving Stoke's first problem are that the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady, and the fluid is Newtonian (its viscosity does not change with the shear rate).

What is the mathematical equation used to solve Stoke's first problem?

The mathematical equation used to solve Stoke's first problem is known as the Navier-Stokes equation, which is a partial differential equation that describes the motion of a viscous fluid.

Are there any limitations to Stoke's first problem?

Stoke's first problem has some limitations, such as assuming a laminar flow (smooth and orderly) and neglecting the effects of turbulence. It also does not account for the shape of the object or the effect of the fluid's density on the flow.