Calculating Enthalpy for H3O: Investigating the Dissolution of Ammonium Nitrate

• Thread starter Jeann25
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for the enthalpy of H3O and the confusion about its standard enthalpy of formation. The conversation also mentions a "trick" question regarding the dissolution of ammonium nitrate and the need to show both positive and negative ΔH values.
Jeann25
I need to find the enthalpy for H3O. I can't find it in my table in my book, and I'm not having much luck finding it online. Is there one for this molecule? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by enthalpy? Do you mean the standard enthalpy of formation?

Remember that we can only measure the change in enthalpy of a system.

I do mean the standard enthalpy of formation..
The reaction is NH4+ in water to form NH3 + H3O+

I can find NH4 and NH3, but not H3O

This is a "trick" question: the "trick" being that your text source has to inform you that ΔHf(H3O+) is "Zero" by convention, your instructor has to point this out, and you have to notice the special case.

I'm really confused then. I'm supposed to show how there is a positive ΔH and a negative ΔH for the dissolution of ammonium nitrate. I did:

NH4NO3 --> NH4+ + NO3-
This is a ΔH of 28.1 kJ

I thought maybe the negative ΔH was the Qh2o of the surrounding, but he said no, that the water does participate in the reaction. So I tried protonation..

NH4+ + H2O --> NH3 + H3O+
The ΔH is 372.2

I'm not understanding how to show a negative ΔH here...

Jeann25 said:
(snip) I'm supposed to show how there is a positive ΔH and a negative ΔH for the dissolution of ammonium nitrate. (snip)

This statement makes absolutely NO sense: please give us an exact copy of the problem statement.

1. What is enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that describes the total amount of energy in a system, including both its internal energy and the energy required to maintain its constant pressure and volume. It is usually represented by the symbol H and measured in units of energy per mole (J/mol).

2. Why is enthalpy important in chemistry?

Enthalpy is important in chemistry because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of chemical reactions. It helps us determine the energy changes that occur during a reaction, which can help us determine the feasibility and direction of a reaction.

3. How do you find the enthalpy for H3O?

To find the enthalpy for H3O (hydronium ion), you can use the formula H = U + PV, where H is enthalpy, U is internal energy, P is pressure, and V is volume. You will need to know the internal energy and volume of the system in order to calculate the enthalpy. Additionally, you can use enthalpy tables or perform experiments to determine the enthalpy of a specific reaction.

4. What factors can affect the enthalpy of a system?

The enthalpy of a system can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and the number and types of molecules present. It can also be influenced by the physical state of the substances involved (i.e. solid, liquid, gas) and the presence of any catalysts or inhibitors.

5. How is enthalpy different from internal energy?

Enthalpy and internal energy are closely related, but they are not the same. Internal energy refers to the total energy of a system, including both its kinetic and potential energy. Enthalpy, on the other hand, takes into account the energy required to maintain constant pressure and volume. In other words, enthalpy includes the work done by a system as it expands or contracts, whereas internal energy does not.