Calculating Entropy Change of Ideal Gas

In summary, the question asks to calculate the entropy change of 3 moles of an ideal gas during an isothermal compression from a volume of 5V to a volume of V. The initial thought of using PV = nRT is not applicable as n and T are constant. The correct approach is to use PV^1 = constant for an isothermal process and integrate the expression for dU in terms of dS and dV. This will give the desired entropy change.
Brewer
I have found the following question on a previous exam paper whilst I've been doing my revision, and have a few questions about how to set up my answer.

Question:
Calculate the entropy change of 3 moles of an ideal gas when they are isothermally compressed (T = 30° C) from a volume 5V to a volume V.

My initial thought was to use PV = nRT, but because both n and T stay constant I then started thinking that I could just make P1V1 = P2V2.

However from my notes I have that PV^gamma = constant which confused me as there is no mention of a value for gamma in the question.

From here I would use the forumla W=-integralP(V)dV and then use the S=W/T formula.

Is this the correct way to go with this question?

Thanks for any feedback

Physics news on Phys.org
It's simpler than that. Try to answer the following questions in order.

1.) For an isothermal process, what is [itex]dU[/itex]?
2.) Can you find an expression for [itex]dU[/itex] in terms of [itex]dS[/itex] and [itex]dV[/itex]? (since after all you were given 2 volumes and you were asked for the change in entropy).
3.) Can you integrate the expression found in 2.)?

That should get you there.

PV^1 = constant for an isothermal process (treating it as an ideal gas ...)
PV^gamma = constant for an adiabatic process.

1. What is the definition of entropy change for an ideal gas?

The entropy change, denoted as ΔS, is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. For an ideal gas, it is the change in entropy when the gas undergoes a process from an initial state to a final state.

2. What is the formula for calculating entropy change for an ideal gas?

The formula for calculating entropy change for an ideal gas is ΔS = nRln(Vf/Vi), where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, Vf is the final volume, and Vi is the initial volume.

3. How does the number of moles of gas affect the entropy change?

The number of moles of gas directly affects the entropy change. As the number of moles increases, the entropy change also increases. This is because a larger number of particles leads to a greater degree of disorder in the system.

4. What is the significance of the gas constant in the entropy change formula?

The gas constant, denoted as R, is a constant value that relates the energy of a gas to its temperature and pressure. It is a crucial factor in the entropy change formula as it allows for the calculation of the change in entropy in units of joules per mole per kelvin (J/mol*K).

5. Can the entropy change of an ideal gas be negative?

Yes, the entropy change of an ideal gas can be negative. This occurs when the gas undergoes a process that decreases its disorder, such as a decrease in volume. However, this is only possible if the change in temperature is also negative, as the two are directly related in the formula ΔS = nRln(Vf/Vi).