Engineering a Bobsled: Getting Started

In summary: Hello, everyone.In summary, the author is looking for help designing a bobsled. He has tried looking for information online but has not found any useful resources. He has also tried looking for old used sleds but has not been successful. He has been unsuccessful in finding any published information on the topic. He has been contacted by a fellow bobsledder who has advised him on the properties of ice and the aerodynamics of uniforms. He has also built a few sleds in his day.
Cod
Over the past month or so, I've been taking welding classes at a local community college. And I've been wanting to engineer something using my recently acquired skills. I've had an interest in bobsleds and the sport of bobsledding since I was a little kid. So I figure, what better project to take part in...build a bobsled.

Now that I've decided I'd like to apply my engineering and physics knowledge along with my welding skills towards a bobsled, I need a starting point. I've been looking for links related to bobsleds and the physics behind them, but I cannot get anything. I came across a book at a local used book shop called "Engineering The Next Bobsled", but its copyrighted 1979. The only link I found was a physical simulation analysis from a bobsled on the track (Here's the link).

So if anyone can point me in the right direction with books, weblinks, etc. I'd greatly appreciated. Any help at all really.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
same problem

I'm right there with you. I've been looking for this kind of information for a while. I've even tried looking for old, used sleds to use as a reference model but no luck.

Mike

http://www.bobsleigh.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
same problem here as well

Hey chaps,

I'm in the process of designing a sled for the GNCTR competition, and I can't find anything on bobsleigh design. I don't know if it's a big secret or what, but you'd think there would be at least something out there on bobsleigh design.

I know it's not a how to, but it's a good thing to read first off:
http://www.designnews.com/article/CA112275.html

I don't think you're going to find too much published since the area is so competetive.

Hello all,

If anyone of you is serious about bobsled design and the relative aerodynamics concerned with drag, friction and speed then please get in touch.

My bluntness is due to there being a lot of timewasters out there.

Jonny G

(Team Kaptien of Norwegian Bobsleigh)

Welcome to PF, Bob.
As Fred mentioned, this is pretty much a top-secret field of research. Anything that can shave a few thousands of a second off of a run is worth a fortune. I would recommend that you do almost as much research into the properties of ice as you do into the sled design itself, and also into the aerodynamics of your uniforms. No two of those will do you any good if the other one is screwed up.

Interesting viewpoint, ice and friction are relative as is the temp of the track..fastskin suits by speedo seem very advanced

I'm certainly not one to second-guess Speedo; while they don't produce the sort of haute couture that I like to laugh at during Paris Fashion Week, they seem to have a pretty good handle on sportswear. (And yes, I watch Fashion TV; come see me if you don't like that. Just make sure that you have a really big stick if it comes down to a scrap. :tongue:)
One thing that I'm wondering about is how long before heated runners make it into the scene. If they haven't already, it might be worth investigating. A fellow over here came up with electrically heated blades for hockey skates, which are now being tested in the NHL and are legal for league play. They just give that little bit of extra 'sliptivity' that can make a huge difference in both speed and manoeuvrablity.

AUastronut said:

there are some pretty good http://www.fibt.com/fileadmin/Rules/Skeleton_Drawings_2007.pdf to be found at that site.

I've built a few sleds in my day checkout www.zero-error.com I'm from the US but my sleds race with another country because of politics and NASCAR. I also built the world record holding Ultimate Soap Box Derby for 2009.

Attachments

• Business Journal.jpg
    Business Journal.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 353
  • Jmaie & ultimate in garage 002 (Small).jpg
    Jmaie & ultimate in garage 002 (Small).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 452
Cool stuff, Zero.
Was Jmale your driver, or a model hired to pose for the photo? Either way, that's a slick looking machine (the car, I mean).

We ran America's Cup last Feb. with a up coming US driver. We are preparing our sleds now for Canada. Its a real shame as I believe the USBSF should welcome all builders but...its about who's getting paid. I was in talks with Jamica at one time but it has now gone to the wayside. My sleds are world class and we are on a serious mission to prove it. That's my ugly mug sitting in the sled.
Derek Fitzgerald
www.zero-error.com

Last edited:
Yeah, I kinda figured that it was you in the sled. (By the bye, your mug ain't all that ugly; just too much so for me to drool over. :tongue:)
I was referring, however, to the young lady lounging beside the soap-box car. The caption says 'Jmale and ultimate in the garage'. I was wondering whether she drove the car or just posed with it.

Last edited:
Yes Jamie drives the car. It was built around her body measurements using a NACA airfoil. We just set a new World Record in July with that car. The engineering in both these pieces is insane as there is nothing to go off except a rulebook. Here are a few more pics.

Attachments

• AASBD, Akron, 2009 083.jpg
    AASBD, Akron, 2009 083.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 422
  • jamieb6.jpg
    jamieb6.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 320
  • ultimate at all american 003 (Small).jpg
    ultimate at all american 003 (Small).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 398
Very cool.
The next time that you have to check her body measurements, I volunteer my services. (Unless, of course, she happens to be your daughter, in which case I will quietly slink away and stash myself someplace where you can't find me. :biggrin:)
Seriously, though, that is one very sharp looking machine. Congrats.

Not my daughter...and yes its good to be KING!
Derek

1. What materials are commonly used to build a bobsled?

The most commonly used materials for building a bobsled are steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber. These materials are chosen for their durability and strength, which are essential for the high speeds and impacts experienced in bobsledding.

2. What are the key design considerations when engineering a bobsled?

Some key design considerations for engineering a bobsled include aerodynamics, weight distribution, and steering mechanisms. Bobsleds need to be streamlined to reduce drag and achieve maximum speed, while also being balanced and stable for better control. Steering mechanisms are also crucial for navigating the track and making turns.

3. How much does a bobsled typically weigh?

The weight of a bobsled can vary depending on its size and materials, but on average they weigh between 400-600 pounds. This weight includes the sled itself, as well as the weight of the athletes and any additional equipment or technology incorporated into the design.

4. How long does it take to build a bobsled?

The time it takes to build a bobsled can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the design and the resources available. Some bobsleds can be built in a matter of weeks, while others may take months to complete.

5. What are some safety measures that must be considered when engineering a bobsled?

Safety is a top priority when it comes to engineering a bobsled. Some important safety measures to consider include crash testing to ensure the sled can withstand high speeds and impacts, as well as incorporating features such as roll bars and seat belts to protect the athletes in the event of a crash. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the bobsled to ensure it is in optimal condition for competition.