Parallel Component for E over charged disk

DJ GriffithsIn summary, the integral for the parallel component of the \vec{E}-field, when integrated over cylindrical coordinates, will naturally cancel out due to symmetry. There is no need to ad hoc cancel the \phi = 0 term for dq with the \phi = 180 term for dq. Additionally, using the substitution s = z \cdot tan(\theta) is valid and will lead to the correct answer, but it is important to use the correct limits of integration for \theta.
Living_Dog
(NOTE: I am doing this to possibly re-enter a graduate program and earn a PhD. This is not being done for class.)

DJ Griffiths, Prob. 2.6, solved.

My question is about the parallel component of the [tex]\vec{E}[/tex]-field. If you integrate over cylindrical coordinates, then by symmetry this component cancels as you integrate around [tex]\phi[/tex]. So my question is about that integral - will it integrate to zero, or are we to ad hoc cancel the [tex]\phi = 0[/tex] term for [tex]dq[/tex] with the [tex]\phi = 180[/tex] term for [tex]dq[/tex]?

Here is the integral as I set it up:

[tex]2\pik\sigma\int{\frac{s^2}{(z^2 + s^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}}ds[/tex],

where [tex]s, \phi, z[/tex] are the cylindrical coordinates.

Oh, and yes, I did try [tex]s = z \cdot tan(\theta)[/tex]

and get [tex]\int{\frac{1}{cos(\theta)}}d\theta[/tex] plus another term which is handleable.

Now that I think of it, the integral should integrate to zero since it is for the full disk, namely: [tex]0 < \phi < 2 \pi[/tex]. So it should naturally integrate to zero. ...no? :redface:

Any help would be appreciated.
-LD

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear LD,

Thank you for your question. It is always great to see someone interested in pursuing a PhD in the field of physics. To answer your question, the integral for the parallel component of the \vec{E}-field will indeed integrate to zero. This is because of the symmetry of the problem, as you correctly pointed out. When integrating over cylindrical coordinates, the integral will naturally cancel out as you integrate around \phi. Therefore, there is no need to ad hoc cancel the \phi = 0 term for dq with the \phi = 180 term for dq.

As for your attempt at using s = z \cdot tan(\theta), this is a valid substitution and it should lead to the correct answer. However, it is important to make sure that you are using the correct limits of integration for \theta, which should be from 0 to \pi/2. This will result in the integral \int{\frac{1}{cos(\theta)}}d\theta, as you have correctly stated.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts. Good luck with your studies and pursuit of a PhD.

1. What is a parallel component for E over a charged disk?

The parallel component for E over a charged disk is the component of the electric field that is parallel to the surface of the disk. This means that the electric field lines are perpendicular to the surface of the disk and do not intersect it at any point. It is one of the two components of the electric field, the other being the perpendicular component which is normal to the surface of the disk.

2. How is the parallel component for E over a charged disk calculated?

The parallel component for E over a charged disk can be calculated using the formula E(parallel) = E * cos(theta), where E is the magnitude of the electric field and theta is the angle between the electric field vector and the surface of the disk. This formula is based on the principle of vector projection.

3. What is the significance of the parallel component for E over a charged disk?

The parallel component for E over a charged disk is important because it determines the force that a charged particle will experience when placed in the electric field of the disk. The parallel component is responsible for the motion of the particle parallel to the surface of the disk, while the perpendicular component is responsible for the motion perpendicular to the surface.

4. How does the parallel component for E over a charged disk affect the electric potential?

The parallel component for E over a charged disk does not have any effect on the electric potential, as the electric potential is only dependent on the distance from the source charge and not the direction of the electric field. However, the parallel component does affect the direction and magnitude of the electric field at different points around the disk, which in turn can affect the potential energy of a charged particle in the field.

5. Can the parallel component for E over a charged disk be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the parallel component for E over a charged disk to be zero. This would occur when the surface of the disk is parallel to the direction of the electric field, resulting in an angle of 90 degrees between the field and the surface, and thus a cosine value of zero. In this case, the electric field lines would be perpendicular to the surface, and the perpendicular component would be the only component present.