IB physics extended essay HELP

In summary, what you need to do is to narrow down your topic and come up with some specific questions you want to answer. You can also try to think about what factors will affect the lift of a plane when it's taking off or landing. You also need to build a model to test your hypotheses.
claireisbear
IB physics extended essay HELP!

tis the season to start stressing over extended essay and i need help. i am planning to investigate how different angles of airplane flaps affect the lift of the plane when the plane is taking off or landing (because that's when the flaps come out)- you know how at a greater deflection the airplane can fly at a slower speed, etc.. anyways, you can see that i haven't exactly formulated a specific research question but its going to be something along those lines, but does anyone have any suggestions for how to narrow it down?
also, for the experiment i need to build (a) model wing(s) to test out in a wind tunnel, but I am not sure what to build it out of. should i have a single wing that has adjustable flaps so that i can adjust it at each trial? or should i have different wings for each angle i want to test? and any suggestions for what i can make it out of? my teacher was suggesting some material you spray around a mold, and then it hardens into that shape.. but other suggestions or ideas are very very very welcome. in fact being awaited.
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, what you typed seems reasonably specific. You could throw drag into the mix if you wanted as well - that's quite an important factor when considering flap angles, otherwise everyone would just fly full flaps. ;) You could measure the lift and drag forces on the aerofoil and determine how the L/D ratio varies with flap angle, for example.

As for making it, it depends what resources you have at your disposal. I'd maybe suggest making a symmetric aerofoil, as (aside from being easier to manufacture) they have no lift at a zero angle of attack, so your lift is only from the flaps. What size does it need to be? What sort of budget are you looking at? You could use foam, cardboard or fabric & wire if you don't have much in the way of manufacturing capabilities. Or, on the other end of the scale, you could get one made up using carbon fibre. :biggrin:

yeah i think i meant to put in drag in the first place anyway- like the wind from the wind tunnel blowing against the plane. the size of the model doens't have to be very big, just big enough. I'm thinking not too much bigger than the rectangular space a big laptop takes up when its open (i say this because i was staring at my laptop and there is nothing else i could think of). as for budget, I am thinking pretty cheap, because i don't have much time to make it and it doesn't have to be super high tech anyway. how would the foam thing work? i still don't really get it.

Writing an essay on Physics is not an easy task. What you need all is to have grip on your topic. You can take help from some online essay writing services in this regards as these essay writing services are a big help for students like us. I and my friends often take help from them and this is the only reason I got good marks. Best of luck.

Clair (dissertationprovider.co.uk)

Dear student,

First of all, it's great to see your enthusiasm for your extended essay in IB physics. It's a challenging but rewarding project that will help you develop important skills for your future academic pursuits.

To start, it's important to have a clear and specific research question for your extended essay. Based on your initial idea, you could consider something like "How do different angles of airplane flaps affect the lift and drag forces during takeoff and landing?" or "What is the optimal angle of airplane flaps for maximum lift and minimum drag during takeoff and landing?" These research questions will allow you to focus on specific variables and outcomes, and they can also guide your experiment design.

Speaking of your experiment, it's a good idea to have a single wing with adjustable flaps that you can test at different angles. This will allow you to control for other variables and isolate the effect of flap angle on lift and drag forces. As for the material, you could consider using foam board, which is lightweight and easy to shape. Alternatively, you could also use cardboard or balsa wood, but they may require more effort to shape and manipulate.

In addition to your experiment, you could also consider conducting a literature review to gather information on the aerodynamics of airplane flaps and how they affect lift and drag forces. This can help you build a stronger theoretical background for your research and provide context for your experiment results.

Lastly, don't hesitate to seek guidance and feedback from your IB physics teacher or other experts in the field. They can provide valuable insights and help you refine your research question and experiment design.

Good luck with your extended essay and keep up the hard work!

1. What is the structure of an IB physics extended essay?

The IB physics extended essay follows a similar structure to other extended essays. It typically consists of an introduction, research question, methodology, results, analysis, discussion, conclusion, and bibliography.

2. How do I choose a topic for my IB physics extended essay?

Choose a topic that you are interested in and have some background knowledge in. It should also be specific and manageable in scope. Consider consulting with your teacher or supervisor for guidance and feedback.

3. What are some tips for conducting research for an IB physics extended essay?

Start by gathering information from reliable sources such as scientific journals, books, and credible websites. Make sure to critically evaluate your sources and take detailed notes. Conduct experiments or simulations as necessary and record your observations and data accurately.

4. How important is the analysis and discussion section in an IB physics extended essay?

The analysis and discussion section is a crucial part of your extended essay as it shows your ability to interpret and evaluate your findings. Make sure to clearly explain the significance of your results and how they relate to your research question.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in an IB physics extended essay?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not following the IB guidelines and criteria, not citing sources properly, and not proofreading for errors. It is also important to avoid plagiarism and to ensure that your essay is your own original work.