Carlos Castaneda's "Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Life"

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation is about the book "Don Juan: a Yaqui Way of Life" by Carlos Casteneda. One person asks if anyone has read it and what their thoughts are. Another person responds saying they have read it and believes Casteneda is a fake, as he admits to the character of Don Juan being a construction. The conversation then shifts to discussing other books and novels, with one person recommending "The Shipping News" instead.
Gale
Just curious... but has anyone read carlos casteneda's "Don Juan: a yaqui way of life?" and if so, any thoughts/oppinions?

Physics news on Phys.org
GALE! YOU'RE BACK! ...no i haven't read the book.

I read it a long time ago, and also another one by him. I'm afraid he's been pretty much shown up a a fake. At the least you need to know that he admits Don Juan is a "constructed character" based on several men Casteneda claims to have known. But mostly I believe it's fiction.

I have read all 6 CC books
and don't think he was a fake
nore did he admit to faking it
but
CC was someone who didnot seprate
dreams from reality or visions from seeing

Hi Gale! I like your new picture.

I would recommend a good poignant novel like The Shipping News instead.

-Zooby

1. Who is Carlos Castaneda?

Carlos Castaneda was an American author and anthropologist who gained fame for his books about his experiences with a Yaqui Indian shaman, Don Juan. He was born in Peru in 1925 and passed away in 1998.

2. What is "Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Life" about?

"Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Life" is a book written by Carlos Castaneda based on his experiences with a Yaqui Indian shaman named Don Juan Matus. It explores the teachings and practices of Don Juan and the traditional way of life of the Yaqui people.

3. Is "Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Life" a true story?

There is much debate about the authenticity of "Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Life." Some believe that it is a true account of Castaneda's experiences, while others argue that it is a work of fiction. Castaneda himself never claimed that the events in the book were entirely factual, but rather a reflection of his personal experiences and interpretations.

4. What are some of the key teachings in "Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Life"?

Some of the key teachings in "Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Life" include the importance of living in the present moment, detaching from the ego, and the concept of "stopping the world" to gain a new perspective on reality. Don Juan also teaches about the use of various psychoactive plants for spiritual exploration and healing.

5. How has "Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Life" impacted readers?

"Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Life" has had a significant impact on readers, both positive and negative. Some credit the book with opening their minds to new ways of thinking and exploring spirituality, while others criticize it for cultural appropriation and inaccuracy. Regardless, the book sparked a widespread interest in shamanism and alternative spiritual practices in the Western world.