US man burns himself to death (war protest)

• Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, the guy chained himself to the railroad tracks in Europe to stop the nuclear waste transports, but he was killed when the train amputated his legs.
FrogPad
http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.php?story=2006110800212324

just crazy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Takes some incredible mental will power to kill oneself for a cause such as this. I can't even imagine taking my life in such a way.

Such a waste of a life for nothing.

One less idiot in the world.

Bye byeeeee.

LOL HALLELUJA...And what will be the result of this great act of protest ?
Ofcourse NOTHING

I would say : a job well done...
marlon

Obviously the guy was ill.

I remember a Vietnam vet who protested something... I don't even remember what now, by lying on a train track while a train was approaching. His legs were amputated just below the waist and the whole thing was caught on camera. It was certainly a very strange and horrible thing to watch.

A stupid waste of life, he could go and try to kill the president and suicide (that could stop the war thought.), instead of a stupid suicide just for nothing.! :devil:

he surely demonstrated the thermodynamics of a burning human being... other than that, nothing was accomplished.

Robert Mak said:
A stupid waste of life, he could go and try to kill the president and suicide (that could stop the war thought.), instead of a stupid suicide just for nothing.! :devil:

i expect that being non-vilolent to others was part of his philosophy

Did he really think that the added effect of burning would sway the president's decision? Why not join a lobby group or something? :uhh:

Ivan Seeking said:
I remember a Vietnam vet who protested something... I don't even remember what now, by lying on a train track while a train was approaching. His legs were amputated just below the waist and the whole thing was caught on camera. It was certainly a very strange and horrible thing to watch.
One maybe thinking of S. Brian Willson, a member of Veterans for Peace -
S. Brian Willson, an antiwar protester who was struck by a Navy train in Northern California on Sept. 1 (1987), . . . lost both of his legs as he sat in protest on the tracks at a highway crossing. Capt. Stanley J. Pryzby of the Navy, who investigated the incident, said that the train was traveling 12 to 16 miles an hour when it struck Mr. Willson. The speed limit at the crossing is 5 miles an hour.
(AP)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._Brian_Willson#Concord_protest_and_injuries

A protester who chained himself to some railroad tracks in Europe near the border between France and Germany was killed when hit by a train.
http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2004/11/302539.shtml
Antinuclear activist died of wounds Sunday after train amputated legs

A 23 year old antinuclear activist who had chained himself to the train tracks to stop the ongoing and dangerous nuclear waste transports ("castors") between Germany and France was killed Sunday, apparently somewhere along the French side of the route. The train amputated both legs, and the activist apparently died of wounds during transit to the hospital. Three other activists left the tracks in time and were apparently wounded

What happened to the man who burned himself to death?

The man, identified as David Buckel, set himself on fire in Prospect Park in New York City as a protest against the use of fossil fuels and the harm they cause to the environment.

Why did the man choose to burn himself as a form of protest?

In a note left behind by Buckel, he stated that he wanted his death to serve as a wake-up call to the dangers of using fossil fuels and the urgent need for change.

Did anyone try to stop the man from burning himself?

According to witnesses, some people tried to approach Buckel and put out the fire, but he refused their help and continued to burn until he passed away.

What impact did this protest have on the public and government?

The incident sparked conversations about the importance of addressing climate change and the use of fossil fuels. It also raised questions about the effectiveness of extreme forms of protest and their impact on society and government.

Has this type of protest been used before?

Yes, self-immolation, or setting oneself on fire, has been used as a form of protest in the past, particularly in countries facing political turmoil. However, it is rare to see it used in the United States as a form of political protest.