Help relive my current obsession.

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the conversation discusses the dangers of using mapping software, specifically Google Maps and Microsoft Streets and Trips. The speaker proposes the idea of defining non-plotable regions to prevent accidents. They also mention the recent death of a family who followed Google Maps and got stranded in the Rogue River Valley. The speaker, who is familiar with the area, explains the terrain and weather conditions in the region and suggests a safety rule of not straying from the center line of a road. They also share a link to a slideshow of the region. Another speaker shares their thoughts on the death by technology aspect and argues that it was due to the individual's own stupidity. They give tips for safe navigation, such as confirming directions on multiple maps and having
Integral said:
We did much the same thing, at about the same time. Our scout troop went camping every month rain (the usual condition) or shine (the summer). We also used equipment that modern campers look at with horror. Canvas backs and tents, heck when I started in '61 even pack frames were rare. I was one of the first ones in my troop you use a pack frame. I found a wooden/canvas frame, probably army surplus from WWII, in my uncles garage tied my pack to it and though I was quiet clever.

In Oregon we has some control over the general conditions, If we wanted snow we headed for the mountains, if we stayed low, we just had to deal with the rain!
:rofl: We did much the same thing in Texas. We used 6 man tarpulin tents held up by two poles and a horizontal brace, and 8 ropes. Then we upgraded to nylon two-man tents, since the tarpaulin was heavy. The nylon tents weren't very useful in the rain and some of us often woke up in a puddle of water. It made one appreciate hot coffee, scrambled eggs and bacon on a cold damp morning. :tongue2: :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
We have three missing hikers on Mt. Hood. The search begins...

Even weirder.

"When we finally reached the spot where the Kims' car stopped after a long, winding journey, our traveling companions -- Sgt. Joel Heller, Josephine County Sheriff's office, and John James, owner of the Black Bar Lodge -- both had the same exact thought: Why did the Kims continue down such a desolate path when they so clearly did not know where they were going?

Three times, we passed large yellow signs warning that snow may completely block the roadway."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/11/griffin.oregon/index.html

They probably figured that they could just turn around if needed. I've been in a couple of bad situations on remote roads, and what can happen is that you think things are fine until it is too late to easily turn around and go back.

My best scout story: We reached the campsite after dark. When we awoke the next morning, many of us had scorpians in our bags and tents. We had set up camp right on a huge scorpian nest! It seems that scorpians like to cuddle in the cold.

I went to Google Earth which shows many of the logging roads in the area. I attempted to start from their car to figure out where they left NF23. ... I got lost...

How in the world did they get there? I have revised my claim that James could have walked out to help. Like as not he could have wondered that maze till he dropped and never found any help. The road they are on is a large loop, they may have been driving in circles.

Maybe we should start a Boy Scout camping story thread?

We had a favorite and frequently used camp site Wolf Creek, about 25mi from downtown Roseburg. To get into it we had to use our wits to cross aptly named Little River. During the summer this was no problem, you just stepped across. The winter months posed a problem. I recall once we rigged a bosun's chair. Another time the solution was to drive the logging roads to a point above and behind the camp spot on Wolf Creek. Wolf creek tumbles down a canyon which may in some respects resemble the terrain James saw. Steep forest/ brush covered canyon walls with the stream which created the canyon at the bottom. Well to make a short story of it. It got dark.

We were hiking cross country with no trail into a canyon noted for its cliffs and such. We were carrying everything we needed, so finally the scout master said, "Camp". We stopped in the middle of the woods and set up camp. The next morning got up and finished the hike in.

Ivan, if next summer you and Tsu want a very nice 3/4 mile hike, it is about a 2hr drive from us. The modern trail, with a bridge across Litte River, follows the creek up to a beautiful pair of falls.

Last edited:
Our troop hosted a Camporee in our home town, and local resident "Gadabout Gaddis - the Flying Fisherman" (he had a TV show about fly fishing) came to give us a demonstration of fly fishing. When he showed up, some scoutmasters showed him to the stream (great rainbow habitat) and ordered me to get out of it. I sat on the bank dejectedly with my fly rod waiting for him to finish his demonstration, while his cameraman wasted tons of film. After about 15-20 minutes of no strikes, he gave up and the scoutmasters said that I could go back to fishing. I hooked a really good fish on my first cast and Gadabout waded right out and tried to talk me into giving him my fly rod so his cameraman could film him playing and landing a fish. He said that he just wanted to show me how to properly play a big fish, but I wanted to land it myself. He left with his cameraman, and I played that fish for another 10-15 minutes, until the fish made a good run and cut downstream of a rock outcropping, and snapped the leader. I didn't care - it was my fish. I have taken rainbows over 6# out of that watershed.

Integral said:
I went to Google Earth which shows many of the logging roads in the area. I attempted to start from their car to figure out where they left NF23. ... I got lost...

How in the world did they get there? I have revised my claim that James could have walked out to help. Like as not he could have wondered that maze till he dropped and never found any help. The road they are on is a large loop, they may have been driving in circles.

I was looking at that, too. Without a good map and knowing exactly where they were, they weren't going to get out of there. At least not without a GPS so they could retrace their exact route. I just can't imagine them doing something like that in winter.

<h2>1. What is the best way to help relive my current obsession?</h2><p>The best way to help relive your current obsession is to first identify what exactly you are obsessed with. Once you have a clear understanding of your obsession, you can then seek out activities or resources related to it. This could include joining a club or online community, attending events or workshops, or simply indulging in your obsession in a healthy and balanced manner.</p><h2>2. How can I control my obsession?</h2><p>Controlling an obsession can be challenging, but it is possible. One approach is to try to redirect your focus and energy towards other activities or hobbies. It can also be helpful to seek support from friends, family, or a therapist. Additionally, practicing mindfulness and self-awareness can help you recognize when your obsession is becoming unhealthy and take steps to manage it.</p><h2>3. Is it normal to have an obsession?</h2><p>Having an obsession is a common human experience and can be a normal part of life. However, if your obsession is causing distress or interfering with your daily life, it may be a sign of an underlying issue and it is important to seek help.</p><h2>4. Can an obsession be beneficial?</h2><p>An obsession can have both positive and negative effects. On one hand, it can provide motivation and drive to pursue a goal or interest. However, if the obsession becomes all-consuming, it can have detrimental effects on mental and emotional well-being. It is important to maintain a healthy balance and perspective when it comes to obsessions.</p><h2>5. How can I differentiate between a healthy interest and an unhealthy obsession?</h2><p>A healthy interest typically brings joy, satisfaction, and a sense of fulfillment. It is something that you can engage in without it negatively impacting other areas of your life. On the other hand, an unhealthy obsession can cause distress, interfere with daily functioning, and consume a significant amount of time and energy. If you are unsure, it is always best to seek guidance from a mental health professional.</p>

1. What is the best way to help relive my current obsession?

The best way to help relive your current obsession is to first identify what exactly you are obsessed with. Once you have a clear understanding of your obsession, you can then seek out activities or resources related to it. This could include joining a club or online community, attending events or workshops, or simply indulging in your obsession in a healthy and balanced manner.

2. How can I control my obsession?

Controlling an obsession can be challenging, but it is possible. One approach is to try to redirect your focus and energy towards other activities or hobbies. It can also be helpful to seek support from friends, family, or a therapist. Additionally, practicing mindfulness and self-awareness can help you recognize when your obsession is becoming unhealthy and take steps to manage it.

3. Is it normal to have an obsession?

Having an obsession is a common human experience and can be a normal part of life. However, if your obsession is causing distress or interfering with your daily life, it may be a sign of an underlying issue and it is important to seek help.

4. Can an obsession be beneficial?

An obsession can have both positive and negative effects. On one hand, it can provide motivation and drive to pursue a goal or interest. However, if the obsession becomes all-consuming, it can have detrimental effects on mental and emotional well-being. It is important to maintain a healthy balance and perspective when it comes to obsessions.

5. How can I differentiate between a healthy interest and an unhealthy obsession?

A healthy interest typically brings joy, satisfaction, and a sense of fulfillment. It is something that you can engage in without it negatively impacting other areas of your life. On the other hand, an unhealthy obsession can cause distress, interfere with daily functioning, and consume a significant amount of time and energy. If you are unsure, it is always best to seek guidance from a mental health professional.