Chemistry - energy and photons, Lewis structures

In summary, the first conversation involves calculating the number of photons in one pulse of a nitrogen laser based on its energy and wavelength. The second conversation is about determining the best Lewis diagram for the gaseous species represented by the given chemical formulas, with a focus on the formal charges and the octet rule.
SA32
I'm doing a practice exam that I have answers to, but I'm not sure how to go about getting to the right answer for some.

Homework Statement

A nitrogen laser produces pulses of light of wavelength 337.1 nm. If each pulse contains 10.0 mJ of energy, how many photons are contained in one pulse?

Homework Equations

E=h(c/Λ)
E= energy
h= 6.626 x 10-34 Js
c= 2.998 x 108
Λ=wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't have one, as I don't know what to do. I know I have to use the equation given above, but it seems that I can plug everything in, leaving me nothing to solve for. I don't know how to relate energy of a pulse to photons. I know the answer is 1.7 x 1016.

Another...

Homework Statement

Identify which of the choices below (attachment) gives the best Lewis diagram for the gaseous species represented by the given chemical formulas.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a multiple choice question. In the attachment I have drawn two of the choices accompanied by their chemical formulas; one (AlCl3) is the correct choice, the other (OCN-) is the one I thought was correct.

Both show the correct number of electrons, both have correct formal charge, however the octet is not satisfied for Al in AlCl3. I'm guessing Al is an exception to the octet rule, but that what about the OCN- diagram is incorrect?

I've just noticed an acceptable Lewis diagram would be to triple bond the N to C, so the O-C bond becomes a single bond, and the -1 formal charge is now on the O. Is this more acceptable because O is more electronegative?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• chemistry.JPG
    chemistry.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
1) E=h(c/Λ) gives the amount of energy for one photon. You know the amount of energy in one pulse. Now, can you figure out the number of photons in one pulse?

2) If you think of aluminum chloride as an ionic compound then it does not violate the octect rule.

I can't see your diagram for OCN so it's hard to know exactly what you are talking about, but what you said here:

I've just noticed an acceptable Lewis diagram would be to triple bond the N to C, so the O-C bond becomes a single bond, and the -1 formal charge is now on the O. Is this more acceptable because O is more electronegative?

agrees with the formal charge rules.

1.) Thanks, that helps!

2.) The diagram in the attachment had O with two lone pairs double bonded to C double bonded to N with two lone pairs and a formal charge of -1 on N.

Thanks for the help.

2) The actual structure of this radical is best described as a superposition (or resonance hybrid) of those two possible structures (i.e., OCN- and NCO-), but the latter structure has a greater weight associated with it (i.e., it is closer to the hybrid), for the reason you gave (the greater electronegativity of O compared to N).

1. What is the relationship between energy and photons in chemistry?

In chemistry, energy and photons are closely related. Photons are packets of electromagnetic energy that are emitted or absorbed during chemical reactions. The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, meaning that the higher the frequency, the more energy the photon carries. This relationship is described by the equation E = hν, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and ν is frequency.

2. How are Lewis structures used in chemistry?

Lewis structures, also known as Lewis dot diagrams, are used in chemistry to represent the valence electrons of an atom or molecule. They are a simplified way to show the bonding and non-bonding electrons in a molecule. By following certain rules, such as the octet rule, Lewis structures can help predict the shape and properties of molecules.

3. What is the octet rule in Lewis structures?

The octet rule in Lewis structures states that atoms tend to gain, lose, or share electrons in order to achieve a stable configuration with eight electrons in their outermost energy level. This is also known as having a full valence shell. Exceptions to this rule include hydrogen, which only needs two electrons to have a full outer shell, and elements in the third period and beyond, which can have more than eight electrons in their outer shells due to the availability of d orbitals.

4. How do energy levels and electron configuration relate to Lewis structures?

The arrangement of electrons in an atom's energy levels, or electron configuration, determines the number and placement of valence electrons in Lewis structures. The valence electrons are the ones involved in chemical bonding, and their distribution in the outermost energy level determines the reactivity and properties of an element. Lewis structures can help visualize and understand the electron configuration of a molecule and how it relates to its chemical behavior.

5. Can Lewis structures be used to predict the polarity of a molecule?

Yes, Lewis structures can provide information about the polarity of a molecule. If a molecule has a symmetrical distribution of electrons, it will likely be non-polar. However, if the distribution of electrons is asymmetrical, with one side having a higher electron density than the other, the molecule will be polar. This can be determined by looking at the electronegativity of the atoms involved in the bond and the overall molecular geometry, both of which can be determined from the Lewis structure.