Multinomial coefficient question.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficient
In summary, the maximum coefficient in the term (x1+...+xk)^rk is achieved when all the exponents (n1, n2, ..., nk) are equal to r. This can be proven using Lagrange multipliers or a combinatorial approach. If any of the exponents is smaller than r, the coefficient will be smaller. Therefore, the maximum coefficient is achieved when all the exponents are equal to r.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
let r>1 which term in (x1+...+xk)^rk has the greatest coefficient?
well i have this equation:
[tex](x_1+x_2+...+x_k)^{rk}=\sum_{n_1+n_2+...+n_k=rk}\left(\begin{array}{cc}rk\\\ n_1,n_2,...,n_k\end{array}\right)x^{n_1}...x^{n_k}[/tex]
well if we notice that (n_1+...+n_k)/k=r then the maximum coefficient is achieved when n_1=n_2=...=n_k=r, but the only way i can see how show that this is true is with lagrange multipliers, and i haven't yet used this method in my calclulus classes so i guess there's a combinatorial solution here. anyone care to hint me this method?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well i think i solved it.
if one of n_k's is smaller than r then there must be another one that is bigger than r and so we will have the coeffiecient smaller than the one achieved by n1=...=nk=r.
this is why we get that this must be hthe maximum coefficient.

The term with the greatest coefficient in (x1+...+xk)^rk is the one where all the exponents are equal to r. This can be seen by using the multinomial formula, which shows that the coefficient is equal to the multinomial coefficient (rk choose n1, n2,...,nk). Since the sum of the exponents must equal rk, the only way to maximize this coefficient is to have all the exponents equal to r. This can also be seen intuitively, as having all the exponents equal to r would result in the largest number of terms being multiplied together, thus giving the greatest coefficient. This can be proven using the method of Lagrange multipliers, but there is also a combinatorial solution as shown above.

What is a multinomial coefficient?

A multinomial coefficient is a mathematical term used to represent the number of ways to arrange a set of objects into distinct groups. It is also known as a multinomial coefficient because it involves more than two terms in the calculation.

How is a multinomial coefficient calculated?

The formula for calculating a multinomial coefficient is n! / (n1! * n2! * n3! * ... * nk!), where n represents the total number of objects and n1, n2, n3, etc. represent the number of objects in each distinct group.

What is the difference between a multinomial coefficient and a binomial coefficient?

A multinomial coefficient is used when there are more than two distinct groups of objects, while a binomial coefficient is used when there are only two distinct groups. Additionally, the formula for calculating a binomial coefficient is simpler, as it only involves two terms (n! / (k! * (n-k)!)).

What are some real-world applications of multinomial coefficients?

Multinomial coefficients are commonly used in probability and statistics to calculate the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario. They are also used in combinatorics to calculate the number of ways to arrange objects into distinct groups.

Are there any special properties or identities associated with multinomial coefficients?

Yes, there are several properties and identities associated with multinomial coefficients, including the multinomial theorem, which states that the sum of the coefficients in a multinomial expansion is equal to the corresponding power of the sum of the terms. There are also binomial and trinomial versions of the multinomial theorem.