Do Photons Have Different Rest Mass?

• Thread starter physicsatiztech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Photon
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of photons and their rest mass. It is stated that photons are massless when moving at their constant speed and their energy is dependent on their frequencies. However, the rest mass of a photon is not zero and can vary from photon to photon. The conversation also clarifies the difference between rest mass and inertial mass.
physicsatiztech
"the mass of photon"

I definitely know that photons don't have any mass if it is moving with it's well-known speed. However, it has its rest mass. So my question is

The energy of photons depend on their frequencies, however the freq. may differ from photon to photon. So I think their rest mass should also differ from photon to photon...

Am I right, or ...?
thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Photons are massless--they have zero rest mass.

physicsatiztech said:
I definitely know that photons don't have any mass if it is moving with it's well-known speed.
And that speed is always a constant (i.e. has the same value irrespective of the frame of reference) having the value c. The rest mass of any particle which moves with speed = c will have zero rest mass.
The energy of photons depend on their frequencies, however the freq. may differ from photon to photon. So I think their rest mass should also differ from photon to photon...

Am I right, or ...?
thanks a lot
You're not quite right in the sense that you're speaking about two different definitions of mass as if they were one. The value E = pc for a photon means that its rest mass is zero but that its inertial mass is not zero.

Pete

I asked this same question many moons ago
MINT!

1. Do photons have any mass?

No, photons do not have any rest mass. They are considered to be massless particles.

2. Can photons be affected by gravity?

Yes, despite not having any mass, photons can still be affected by gravity. This is because they have energy and momentum, which are also affected by gravity.

3. How can a particle be massless and still have energy?

According to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, energy and mass are equivalent. Photons have energy due to their motion and their oscillating electric and magnetic fields, which makes them massless particles.

4. What is the speed of a photon?

The speed of a photon in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, also known as the speed of light. This speed is constant and does not change regardless of the energy or wavelength of the photon.

5. Can photons be destroyed?

Photons cannot be destroyed, but they can be absorbed by matter, converting their energy into other forms such as heat or electricity. This process is known as the photoelectric effect and is the basis for solar panels and photosynthesis in plants.