Double-Quantity Reactions: CuO+CO & C+CO2

• Thread starter [Leo]
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary, the conversation discusses the release of CO and CO2 through reactions involving heated Cu, active C, and other materials. It is mentioned that the quantity of CO is doubled during these reactions and the speaker is looking for more examples of reactions that result in a greater quantity of a material than what was originally used. The conversation also includes a discussion about language barriers and the possibility of using a translator.
[Leo]
If CO is released abowe heated Cu when gets CO2. When THAT CO2 is released abowe active C gets CO. When this experiment is done we have double quantity CO .
CuO + CO = Cu + CO2
C + CO2 = 2CO
Do you know more "growing" quantity reactions?
P.s. Sorry for my bad english

Physics news on Phys.org
hey... uumm,,, your english i somewhhat bbad... you speak what?? french, spanish,, post it anyway, there should be someone to translate it properly...
or maybe you can google for a free translator, you'll get them very easily...

what do you mean by growing reactions?
these two reactions just sound like normal reactions to me...

i've never heard about growing reactions

I wanted to say that quantity of CO has doubled during these two reactions and i need more examples like this...Then you have one material and after one or two or maybe three and more reactions you have more than you got at first.

Last edited:
oh yeah... uummm... i don;t kno... if i come across any, i'll let you know...

1. What is a double-quantity reaction?

A double-quantity reaction is a type of chemical reaction where the reactants contain two different elements or molecules that react with each other to form two different products. In this case, the reactions are CuO+CO and C+CO2.

2. How do you determine the products of a double-quantity reaction?

The products of a double-quantity reaction can be determined by balancing the chemical equation and using the law of conservation of mass. In this case, the products for CuO+CO are Cu and CO2, and the products for C+CO2 are 2CO.

3. What is the role of CuO in the reaction CuO+CO?

CuO is the reactant in this reaction and it is the source of copper (Cu) in the products. It is also known as a catalyst, meaning it helps to speed up the reaction without being consumed in the process.

4. How do you know if a reaction is considered a double-quantity reaction?

A reaction is considered a double-quantity reaction if it involves two different reactants that produce two different products. It is also known as a double displacement reaction or a metathesis reaction.

5. What are some practical applications of the reactions CuO+CO and C+CO2?

The reaction CuO+CO is commonly used in the industrial production of copper metal. The reaction C+CO2 is important in the production of carbon monoxide, which is used in the production of fuels and chemicals. It is also used in the production of iron and steel.