What is the role of sodium amide in the formation of benzyne from chlorobenzene?

• Thread starter [Leo]
  • Start date
In summary, the reaction of 3C2H2 with Cu2Cl2 will produce one molecule of unreacted C2H2 and vinyl ethyne, or CH2-CH-CCH. The second question discusses the possibility of C6H4, which is a hypothetical byproduct in some benzene-related reactions. However, it is unlikely to be produced from a reaction with Na-NH2 or any other strong base. The production of benzyne (C6H4) can be achieved with the use of two molecules of sodium amide in the base-assisted dehydrohalogenation of chlorobenzene.
[Leo]
1)I can't find what will happen if 3C2H2 reacts with Cu2Cl2 . C6H6 can't be , or does it ?
2) after several reactions i got unknown compound which reacts with 2NaNH2(in the ether ) and product is C6H4 . How it can be C6H4 ? Does anybody know what unknown compound can be ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I am doing this right, 3C2H2 in Cu2Cl2 will give you one molecule of unreacted C2H2 and vinyl ethyne, or CH2-CH-CCH, which if you add up all the carbons and hydrogens, you get 6C and 6H.

As to the second question, I don't think C6H4 exists, but it is listed as a hypothetical byproduct in some benzene-related reactions. Imagine a six-carbon chain where all of the carbons are double bonded and the end carbons each have two hydrogens, and you have C6H4. I think it would be called 1,2,3,4,5-pentahexene or something like that. However, I don't think you could get that from a reaction with Na-NH2 or any other strong base (NaOH, NaH, etc.).

Benzyne is a derivative of benzene or a substituted benzene. Some of these derivatives of benzene can be driven to produce benzyne by the action of a strong base such as sodium amide. It is not a six-carbon chain at all but rather a six-carbon ring. You must figure out why TWO molecules of sodium amide are required to produce the benzyne.

I'll give you a hint: if chlorobenzene were reacted with ONE molecule of sodium amide, benzyne (C6H4) could be produced (base-assisted dehydrohalogenation).

1. What is the chemical equation for "3C2H2 + Cu2Cl2"?

The chemical equation for "3C2H2 + Cu2Cl2" is:
3C2H2 + 2Cu2Cl2 → 2C6H6 + 4Cu + 4HCl

2. What type of reaction is "3C2H2 + Cu2Cl2"?

"3C2H2 + Cu2Cl2" is a double replacement reaction, also known as a metathesis reaction.

3. What are the products of "3C2H2 + Cu2Cl2"?

The products of "3C2H2 + Cu2Cl2" are benzene (C6H6), copper (Cu), and hydrogen chloride (HCl).

4. What is the molar mass of "3C2H2 + Cu2Cl2"?

The molar mass of "3C2H2 + Cu2Cl2" is 378.4 g/mol. This can be calculated by adding the molar masses of each individual molecule:
3(2x12.01 g/mol + 2x1.008 g/mol) + 2(2x63.55 g/mol + 2x35.45 g/mol) = 378.4 g/mol

5. What is the significance of the "3" in "3C2H2 + Cu2Cl2"?

The "3" in "3C2H2" indicates that there are 3 molecules of ethyne (C2H2) present in the reaction. This is important for accurately balancing the equation and determining the correct stoichiometry of the reaction.