Solving for the Molar Ratio of 2Na_{3}PO_{4}*12H_{2}0

• Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary: The problem you see in your set up is that you have not named the compounds correctly. In this case, the compound being measured is barium phosphate, not barium chloride. You need to identify the compound being measured and name it correctly in your calculation. After you have done that, you can move on to the rest of the calculation.
Winzer

Homework Statement

Ok so I should know how to do this but I want to make sure.
The balanced equation involved is:
[tex]2Na_{3}PO_{4}*12H_{2}0+3BaCl_{2}*2H_{2}0\longrightarrow Ba_{3}(PO_{4})_{2}+6NaCl+30H_{2}0[/tex]
In the lab I obtained 6.6e-4 moles of [tex]Ba_{3}(PO_{4})_{2}[/tex]
and [tex]2Na_{3}PO_{4}*12H_{2}0[/tex] is limiting we found out.
I just need to convert moles of [tex]Ba_{3}(PO_{4})_{2}[/tex] to grams
[tex]2Na_{3}PO_{4}*12H_{2}0[/tex]. I know how to convert from moles grams etc. but i can't decide when i do the mole to mole ratio. do I use 2*12=8moles for the [tex]2Na_{3}PO_{4}*12H_{2}0[/tex] or just 2?
Thanks

Homework Equations

[tex]2Na_{3}PO_{4}*12H_{2}0+3BaCl_{2}*2H_{2}0\longrightarrow Ba_{3}(PO_{4})_{2}+6NaCl+30H_{2}0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to convert from moles grams etc. but i can't decide when i do the mole to mole ratio. do I use 2*12=8moles for the [tex]2Na_{3}PO_{4}*12H_{2}0[/tex] or just 2?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1 mole of barium phosphate required 2 moles of sodium phosphate:12 hydrate. Straightforward stoichiometry. Arrange your whole conversion expression and include the units for each number. Start with the 1 mole of barium phosphate!

(1 mole ba.phos)*[(2 mole sod.phos.hydrate)/(1 mole ba.phos)]*(U grams/mole of sod.phos.hydrate)

You will need to write that all conventionally with pencil on paper; I used the symbol "U" for the number of grams per mole for sodium phosphate 12 hydrate, but you need to find it in a table or calculate it yourself.

Yah know how to set it up, it just like i said before do I multiply with 24 or 2. Anyways I got 0.50g of [tex]2Na_{3}PO_{4}*12H_{2}0[/tex]
and
0.48g of [tex]BaCl_{2}*2H_{2}0[/tex]

Winzer said:
Yah know how to set it up, it just like i said before do I multiply with 24 or 2. Anyways I got 0.50g of [tex]2Na_{3}PO_{4}*12H_{2}0[/tex]
and
0.48g of [tex]BaCl_{2}*2H_{2}0[/tex]
You need to know what the numbers in the reaction statements mean. If you set up the calculation correctly, such as I have shown, then you will obtain the correct result. The two things applied in my setu-up expression which were not done were full-correct names for the compound (I used my own abbreviations) and the "U" in place of the actual formula weight.

yah so:
[tex] (6.6e^-4 moles Ba_{3}(PO_{4})_{2}) *\frac{2BaCl_{2}*12H_{2}O}{1 mole Ba_{3}(PO_{4})_{2}}*\frac{380.12 2BaCl_{2}*12H_{2}O}{1 mole BaCl_{2}*12H_{2}O} [/tex]

I get 0.50 right?

Last edited:
right!?

Winzer said:
yah so:
[tex] (6.6e^-4 moles Ba_{3}(PO_{4})_{2}) *\frac{2BaCl_{2}*12H_{2}O}{1 mole Ba_{3}(PO_{4})_{2}}*\frac{380.12 2BaCl_{2}*12H_{2}O}{1 mole BaCl_{2}*12H_{2}O} [/tex]

I get 0.50 right?
The only problem I see in the arranged expression is the formula weight is labeled as barium chloride - but you are not interested in that. You are interested in the sodium phosphate 12*hydrate. The the formula weight is the correct one for the phosphate.

Fix it to
[tex] (6.6e^-4 moles Ba_{3}(PO_{4})_{2}) *\frac{2Na_{3}PO_{4}*12H_{2}0}{1 mole Ba_{3}(PO_{4})_{2}}*\frac{380.12 2Na_{3}PO_{4}*12H_{2}0}{2Na_{3}PO_{4}*12H_{2}0} [/tex]

Last edited:
:grumpy:So is 0.50g right!?

:cry::cry::cry:

YES. Probably closer to about 0.502 g. I hope this helps.
Why were you unsure?

1. How do I determine the molar ratio of 2Na3PO4*12H2O?

The molar ratio of a compound can be determined by dividing the number of moles of each element present by the lowest number of moles. For 2Na3PO4*12H2O, there are 2 moles of sodium (2Na), 3 moles of phosphorus (3P), 4 moles of oxygen (4O), and 24 moles of hydrogen (24H). The lowest number of moles is 2, so the molar ratio is 2:3:4:24 or simplified to 1:1.5:2:12.

2. What is the purpose of solving for the molar ratio of a compound?

The molar ratio of a compound provides information about the relative number of moles of each element present. This is important in understanding the composition of the compound and can be used to determine the amount of reactants needed in a chemical reaction.

3. Can the molar ratio of a compound change?

The molar ratio of a compound is a constant value and does not change. It is based on the chemical formula of the compound and the number of atoms of each element present in the formula.

4. What is the significance of the subscript numbers in the chemical formula?

The subscript numbers in a chemical formula represent the number of atoms of each element present in one mole of the compound. In the case of 2Na3PO4*12H2O, it means there are 2 moles of sodium, 3 moles of phosphorus, 4 moles of oxygen, and 24 moles of hydrogen in one mole of the compound.

5. How can I use the molar ratio to determine the mass of a compound?

The molar ratio can be used to convert between moles and mass of a compound. By knowing the molar mass of a compound (which is the sum of the atomic masses of each element in the compound), you can use the molar ratio to calculate the mass of the compound. For example, if the molar ratio of 2Na3PO4*12H2O is 1:1.5:2:12 and the molar mass is 380.12 g/mol, then the mass of 1 mole of the compound would be 380.12 g.