Questions about principle of moments

In summary, to raise a boom using a weight of 600 N and a counterweight of 3600 Nm, the counterweight must have a mass of 10 MS2.
crpcrpcrp

Homework Statement

Hi
I have a physics exam tmorrow and I was hoping I could get a little help with the moments problem. I attached the drawing and the question asks:
a-1. State the principle of moments
b-1.Write down expressions including W, Rc and FA for
(i)the total counter clockwise moments about pivot B
(ii)the total clockwise moments about pivot B
(iii)what is the value of Rc when the first boom loses contact with its cradle
2.Use the results in 1. (i),(ii) and (iii) above to find the mass of the counterweight that must be used if FA=25N is just enough to start raising the boom (g=10ms-2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a-1 the principle of moments states that for a system in equilirium the sum of the clockwise moments is equal to the sum of the anitclockwis moments
b-1(i)600N X 6m=3600Nm

And we were never atught how to answer the rest so from there I'm lost.Help please

Attachments

• Copy of Physics Question.zip
    25.1 KB · Views: 360
Physics news on Phys.org
But what is a moment defined as, in terms of a force and a lever arm length?

Starting with the sum of the moments being zero in equilibrium is good, but then you need to use that to help you calculate the forces that are spaced at different distances from the pivot...

In this problems the moments are easy to calculate since the moment arms are just the horizontal distances to the line of action of the involved forces.

For instance for the weight of the arm of the boom, 600 N, which rotates clockwise about point B the moment will be

[tex]600 \times 3 = 1800 \ Nm[/tex]

clockwise since the moment arm for this force is three meters.

The normal reaction force from the cradle,[tex]R_C[/tex], rotates the boom anticlockwise about the point B so its moment will be

[tex]R_C \times 6 = 6R_C \ Nm[/tex]

anticlockwise about B.

To answer part (iii) you need to consider what happens as the applied force, [tex]F_A[/tex], is increased. What will happen is as the applied force is increased the reaction force of the cradle will decrease while the boom is still in equilibrium. When the reaction force becomes zero the boom is at the point of lifting up, but the clockwise anticlockwise moments will still balance out at this point. Only when the applied force is increased even further will the boom begin to lift.

Last edited:

1. What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments, also known as the law of moments, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the equilibrium of a system of forces acting on a rigid body. It states that for a body to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments.

2. How does the principle of moments apply to everyday life?

The principle of moments has many real-life applications, such as in the design of seesaws, balance scales, and door hinges. It also explains how a lever works, where the effort force is applied at a distance from the fulcrum to create a moment that can lift a heavy load on the other side.

3. What is the difference between a moment and a force?

A moment is a measure of the turning effect of a force, while a force is a push or pull applied to an object. Moments are calculated by multiplying the force by the distance from the pivot point (fulcrum) to the line of action of the force. In other words, forces cause moments, but moments are not forces themselves.

4. Can the principle of moments be applied to non-rigid bodies?

No, the principle of moments only applies to rigid bodies, which do not deform or change shape under the influence of external forces. If a body is non-rigid, such as a rope or a spring, the principle of moments does not apply, and other principles, such as Hooke's law, must be used.

5. How is the principle of moments related to torque?

Torque is another term for a moment, specifically the rotational equivalent of a force. The principle of moments uses the concept of torque to explain how a body can be in equilibrium when subjected to multiple forces. In other words, torque is a measure of the moment of a force.