Does this device follow Passive Sign Convention?

In summary: I think I got it figured out now. :-)In summary, the current in this image is leaving from the + end.
Alpha Russ Omega
Hello:
I need help determining if I and V assignments follow the passive sign convention.

Here is the image of the circuit:
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9572/pic1xu2.gif

I know that in order for it to follow PSC the current I needs to flow towards +V. I'm not sure if that is happening in this picture.

Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That looks like a symbol for an active power source. I'm not familiar with what you call the PSC. Can you provide a web pointer to the definition of that convention?

PSC stands for Passive Sign Convention.

The following link describes it in detail: http://morley.eng.ua.edu/E125-2PassiveConv.pdf

With the image that my teacher gave me, it's kind of hard for me to tell if it follows it or not. Maybe I'm not looking at it correctly...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just about to give you the link you just provided for passive sign convention. From that you can see that the current through a PASSIVE ELEMENT (like a resistor) has the convention of pointing to the + end. Your picture looks like the current is leaving a power source (like a battery).

I think I got it figured out now. Thanks guys! :-)

So tell us the answer is it PSC?? I'm also confused my professor gave us the same problem and it got me confused.. for me it looks like the current is leaving from the + end

That is passive sign convention. If the current goes from + to -, that's PSC. If the current goes from - to +, that's ASC or Active Sign Convention.

isen't it leaving from the + though??

No, the current is entering on the + sign, leaving from the - sign

alright how about if the arrow was going away from the + end toward the box.. would that be considered ASC?

hadia said:
alright how about if the arrow was going away from the + end toward the box.. would that be considered ASC?

Correct.

alright i think i got it one last question lol how about if the arrow was leaving from - end toward the box is that ASC or PSC?

hadia said:
alright i think i got it one last question lol how about if the arrow was leaving from - end toward the box is that ASC or PSC?

PSC.

Alright thanks for your help...

1. What is the Passive Sign Convention?

The Passive Sign Convention is a convention used in electrical engineering and circuit analysis. It states that current flows from higher potential to lower potential in a circuit, and that power is dissipated or absorbed by passive elements such as resistors and capacitors.

2. Why is it important to follow the Passive Sign Convention?

Following the Passive Sign Convention allows for consistency and accuracy in circuit analysis. It ensures that all calculations and equations are done correctly, and helps to avoid errors in circuit design and troubleshooting.

3. How do I know if a device follows the Passive Sign Convention?

A device follows the Passive Sign Convention if it has a clearly marked positive and negative terminal, and if the current flow direction is indicated on the device. Additionally, the device's datasheet or manual should provide information on its adherence to the convention.

4. Are there any exceptions to the Passive Sign Convention?

Yes, there are some situations where the Passive Sign Convention may not apply, such as in certain types of semiconductor devices or in circuits with alternating current (AC). In these cases, it is important to carefully consider the direction of current flow and follow the appropriate conventions for analysis.

5. Can I still analyze a circuit if a device does not follow the Passive Sign Convention?

Yes, it is still possible to analyze a circuit if a device does not follow the Passive Sign Convention. However, it may require additional calculations or adjustments to account for the non-conventional device. It is always best to follow the convention and use devices that adhere to it when possible.