Initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity question

In summary, the conversation involves solving for the initial velocity, final velocity, and maximum height of a water balloon being tossed over the edge of a raised sidewalk. The thrower should hold the balloon over the edge and then toss it directly upward while the person on the ground starts the timer. Using the equation y2-y1=v0t+(1/2)at^2, the initial velocity is found to be 6.7m/s.
scifi3

Homework Statement

In this Lab you will toss water balloons over the edge of a raised sidewalk.
The thrower should hold the balloon over the edge of the sidewalk and then toss it directly upward. As soon as the balloon is released the person on the ground should start the timer. Stop the timer when the balloon hits the ground. Balloon is released at 6.2m above ground and lands in 2 seconds. What is the initial velocity, final velocity and maximum height of travel?

Homework Equations

v=at+Vo
y-y=Vot + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to solve for Vo and y by substitution and I keep getting zero!

Physics news on Phys.org
"As soon as the balloon is released the person on the ground should start the timer."
That should give you the initial velocity. From there, try solving again.

use 0 for time and solve? that just gives me zero for initial velocity again.

Your equation should be:

y2 - y1 = v0t + (1/2)at^2

solve for v0. you're given t = 2s

Just to make sure I did this right, the initial velocity is 9.8m/s?

scifi3 said:
Just to make sure I did this right, the initial velocity is 9.8m/s?

No, that's not what I'm getting. Can you show your calculations? be careful about signs...

0-6.2 = v0(2) + (1/2)-9.8(2)^2
v0 = 6.7m/s

scifi3 said:
0-6.2 = v0(2) + (1/2)-9.8(2)^2
v0 = 6.7m/s

That's right.

great job helping me! thanks

scifi3 said:
great job helping me! thanks

no prob.

1. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity is the velocity at which an object starts moving. It is often denoted by the symbol "u" and is measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.

2. How is initial velocity related to acceleration due to gravity?

Initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity are independent of each other. Acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared, which is the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth's surface. Initial velocity, on the other hand, depends on the speed and direction an object is moving at the beginning of its motion.

3. How do you calculate initial velocity?

Initial velocity can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed. If any three of these values are known, the fourth can be calculated.

4. Can initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity be negative?

Yes, both initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity can have negative values. A negative initial velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. A negative acceleration due to gravity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the pull of gravity, such as when an object is thrown upwards.

5. How does initial velocity affect an object's motion?

The initial velocity of an object can greatly affect its motion. If the initial velocity is high, the object will cover more distance in a shorter amount of time. If the initial velocity is low, the object will take longer to cover the same distance. Additionally, the direction of the initial velocity can impact the path of an object's motion, as it determines the angle at which the object is launched or thrown.