Math Success Despite Physics Struggles: The Necessity of Physics

• Thread starter chaotixmonjuish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, if you can get through calculus and linear algebra, you'll be fine in any math graduate program. If you struggle with physics concepts, you may want to look into math research opportunities.
chaotixmonjuish
I'm taking general physics right now. It's a calculus based physics class and it's kicking my butt. However, I was thinking to myself, is it possible to still go to grad school for math if physics isn't my forte. I'm just required to take on semester, but I'm really lost in my physics class. Math wise, life is good, nothing has been so challenging that I can't overcome it on my own without a couple minutes of extra thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics is just an application of math... You can go to grad school for a math degree but I'd made sure it's the concepts that are giving you trouble in physics, because if it's actually that math part of the physics then you might have some problems.

I would assume that it is the concepts too. Well more of what I'm suppose to do with the equations outside of normal algebraic manipulation. I know how they should work, and for the most part I can grasp what's going on. I just have problems actually executing the physics problem's solution. I've taken Calculus and Linear Algebra and practically breezed through them, physics has just recently demoralized me.

Physics is different from math. The purpose of physics is to model things we've seen through experiment and try to understand how it works. Extrapolate new information from that, test it, rinse, repeat.

I can't speak much for math since I've only taken the more practical classes like Diff EQ's, Linear Algebra, Calc, etc. Friend of mine who is a math major said it's just "theorem this, theorem that", but he actually understands what's going on in the physics classes he's taking with me.

So I guess I could put it this way:

Math = creating a new language

Physics = using that language to write a novel, which is how the universe works

There's a reason why getting a literature degree is different from getting a degree in a language.

Poop-Loops said:
Physics is different from math. The purpose of physics is to model things we've seen through experiment and try to understand how it works. Extrapolate new information from that, test it, rinse, repeat.

I can't speak much for math since I've only taken the more practical classes like Diff EQ's, Linear Algebra, Calc, etc. Friend of mine who is a math major said it's just "theorem this, theorem that", but he actually understands what's going on in the physics classes he's taking with me.

So I guess I could put it this way:

Math = creating a new language

Physics = using that language to write a novel, which is how the universe works

There's a reason why getting a literature degree is different from getting a degree in a language.

That's a cool analogy PL!

G01 said:
That's a cool analogy PL!

Seconded!
If you can do calculus and linear algebra, then it isn't the maths for physics that is causing you problems... calc and LA being the maths for physics!
Solving physics problems is definitely a different skill to solving maths problems. Physics problems generally require 1) an intution as to how to formulate a physical situation in terms of maths 2) the ability to synthesise concepts, and introduce new ideas or formulae to a problem when the initial analysis cannot otherwise be taken further. If you can get your head around the abstraction and rigour needed to study pure maths, then I wouldn't have any worries about grad school because of one physics course :smile:

chaotixmonjuish said:
is it possible to still go to grad school for math if physics isn't my forte.

Ditto those who said "sure", as long as this continues to hold in math courses through graduation:

chaotixmonjuish said:
Math wise, life is good, nothing has been so challenging that I can't overcome it on my own without a couple minutes of extra thought.

One thing: to echo some other recent threads, its never too early to look into math research opportunities if you know you want to go to grad school in math! There are some excellent programs in Hungary, the U.S., Canada, Australia, and no doubt many other countries.

1. What is the main idea behind "Math Success Despite Physics Struggles: The Necessity of Physics"?

The main idea is that although physics may be a difficult subject for some students, understanding its concepts is crucial for success in math and other scientific disciplines.

2. How does physics relate to math?

Physics and math are closely intertwined, with many mathematical concepts being applied and used in physics. In order to fully understand and excel in math, a strong foundation in physics is necessary.

3. What are some common struggles students face in physics?

Some common struggles students face in physics include understanding and applying complex mathematical equations, visualizing abstract concepts, and grasping the fundamental principles of the subject.

4. How can students improve their understanding of physics?

Students can improve their understanding of physics by seeking additional resources such as tutoring or online lectures, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills, and actively engaging in class discussions and experiments.

5. Why is physics important for future scientists?

Physics is important for future scientists because it provides the foundation for understanding and exploring the natural world. Many scientific disciplines, such as astronomy, engineering, and chemistry, rely heavily on the principles and laws of physics.