Natural Log of negative number

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of the natural log of a negative number and how it cannot be simplified to a real number. It is explained that the natural log is multi-valued due to its definition as a contour integral. This means that for each time the contour winds around the origin, 2πi is added to the integral, resulting in multiple values for the natural log. This concept is further clarified by mentioning that exp(2nπi) equals 1, leading to the conclusion that ln(1) is also multi-valued.
BackEMF
I've got a simple question that's been bugging me for a while. I think I know where the problem is, I'd just like a formal mathematical reason why I can't say this:

[tex] \ln{(-1)}^2 = \ln(1) = 0 [/tex]

That part is fine...but then:

[tex] \ln{(-1)}^2 = 2 \ln(-1) = 2 (i \pi) [/tex]

when they should obviously be equal.

It presumably displays the fact that you can't take the square and put it in front of the log as a "2" when you're dealing with logs of negative numbers. I'd like to know if there's any formal theory behind why this can't be done.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What you're running into is the fact that [itex]\ln z[/itex] is multi-valued. Define [itex]\ln z[/itex] as the contour integral

[tex]\ln z = \int_{\gamma} \frac{d\zeta}{\zeta}[/tex]

where [itex]\gamma[/itex] is some contour running from 1 to z.

Now, note that for each time the contour [itex]\gamma[/itex] winds around the origin in a positive sense, you get [itex]2\pi i[/itex] added to the integral (you can show this by the method of residues). Therefore, [itex]\ln z[/itex] is multivalued:

[tex]\ln z = \ln_p z + 2n\pi i[/tex]

where [itex]\ln_p z[/itex] is the principle value, and [itex]n[/itex] is any integer.

A simple way of seeing this is noting that exp(2n[pi]i)=1. Therefore ln(1)=2n[pi]i where n is any integer.

Ah great! That makes perfect sense.

So the natural log of 1 is, infact, multivalued if you allow a mapping to the complex plane?

Thanks for cleaning that up anyway Ben & mathman.

What is the natural log of a negative number?

The natural log of a negative number is undefined in the real number system. However, in complex numbers, the natural log of a negative number is a complex number with a real part of 0 and an imaginary part of π.

Why is the natural log of a negative number undefined in the real number system?

In the real number system, the natural logarithm function is only defined for positive numbers. This is because the natural log is the inverse of the exponential function, and negative numbers do not have real number solutions when raised to a power.

Is there a way to calculate the natural log of a negative number?

Yes, in the complex number system, the natural log of a negative number can be calculated using the formula ln(-x) = ln|x| + iπ. This results in a complex number with a real part of 0 and an imaginary part of π.

What is the significance of the natural log of a negative number in mathematics?

The natural log of a negative number is important in complex analysis and is used in various mathematical applications, such as in solving differential equations and in the study of complex functions.

Can the natural log of a negative number ever be a real number?

No, the natural log of a negative number will always result in a complex number in the form of a+bi, where a is 0 and b is π. This is because the natural logarithm function is only defined for positive numbers in the real number system.