Please help me identify this topology book

In summary, the conversation discusses a unknown advanced-looking point-set topology textbook with 427 pages and mentions that it was written between 1966 and 1975. The person has attached a picture of two pages from the book and requests for someone to identify it. They also ask for recommendations for a similar advanced topology textbook. The link provided does not work, but the person later finds the book in their university library and orders a copy. A review from Amazon describes the book as rigorous and suitable for advanced undergraduate or first-year graduate students. A suggestion is made to consider a more recent publication for those learning topology for the first time.
mathboy
I have photocopied pages of a advanced-looking point-set topology textbook, but I don't know the name of the book or the author. It has 427 pages (the last index page is p.427), and based on its references, it was written no earlier than 1966, and probably no later than 1975. I've attached a picture of two of its pages. Can someone identify it for me? I want to get the full book, but I can't remember where I got the photocopied pages from. The topics are point-set topology, and it has many advanced definitions and theorems not found in introductory topology textbooks.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/334/unknowntopologybookqr2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If no one can identify the book, can someone tell me of a topology textbook (just point-set topology, not algebraic topology) that is of the same advanced level as the picture I showed in my first post? One that discusses many terms and theorems not found in introductory topology textbooks?

the link isn't working for me.

It's ok, I combed through every topology book in my university library and found the book. It is by Cullen, 1968, and I've ordered a copy. A review from amazon states how advanced it is compared to other point-set topology textbooks:

"Professor Cullen says in the preface that this book should be read by the advanced undergraduate or first-year graduate student, but this book in my opinion should only be read by a first- or second-year graduate student. The mathematics in this book is as rigourous as math can possibly get; the proofs are often quite long and sometimes difficult, and the concepts Professor Cullen tries to convey are sometimes very difficult to follow. If you like your math rigourous (trust me, there are people out there that like rigourous mathematics) and you have some backround in topology and real analysis, then this might be for you. But remember, this book is serious mathematics, and if you try to pick this book up with no backround then you'll get eaten alive."

If you are learning topology for the first time, wouldn't you recommend something a published a little more recently?

What is topology and why is it important?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of space and the relationships between objects within that space. It is important because it has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What topics are typically covered in a topology book?

A topology book may cover topics such as point-set topology, algebraic topology, differential topology, and geometric topology. It may also cover concepts such as continuity, compactness, connectedness, and homotopy.

What level of mathematics is required to understand a topology book?

A basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and set theory is necessary to understand a topology book. Some knowledge of abstract algebra and analysis may also be helpful.

Are there any recommended topology books for beginners?

Some recommended topology books for beginners include "Topology" by James Munkres, "Introduction to Topology" by Theodore W. Gamelin and Robert E. Greene, and "A First Course in Topology: Continuity and Dimension" by John McCleary.

What is the best way to learn topology?

The best way to learn topology is to start with a basic understanding of the fundamental concepts and then practice solving problems and proofs. It is also helpful to read and study from multiple sources and to seek guidance from a knowledgeable teacher or tutor.