Finding Hydration & Solubility of LiI: Endo/Exo?

• Thread starter Apostle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the heat of hydration and heat of solution for lithium iodide when dissolved in water. The heat of hydration is the energy released when the Li and I ions bond with water, making it exothermic. The heat of solution is the energy required to break the LiI into separate ions, making it endothermic. However, it is important to note that the heat of solution can also refer to the total energy generated, which includes both the heat of hydration and heat of solution. These values can be determined through experimentation or by using data from previous experiments.
Apostle
Heat of Hydration?

My text asks me to find the (delta H hydration = ? kj/mol ) and
the (delta Hsoln =? kj/mol) when LiI (lithium iodide) is dissolved in water and the solution becomes hotter. Endo/Exo?? And how do I find the kj/mol's. I am a first year student and starting in the middle of the year, so I am a little behind so to speak.
Sorry about any wrong info. This is my first time on this site.:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Heat of hydration is the energy given out when the Li and I bond with water - This will be pretty exothermic ( energy given out = negative )
Heat of solution is the energy needed to break the LiI into separate ions, this takes energy and is endothermic ( energy taken in = positive )

Be careful though - you could also define the heat of solution to be the total energy generated ie heat hydration + heat solution.
I don't know how you work these out from first principles, you would eithe rmeasure it in an experiment or use values from tables (of other people experiments )

Hi there,

First of all, welcome to the scientific community! Don't worry about being a little behind, we all have to start somewhere and it's great that you're seeking help to catch up.

To answer your question, the terms "endo" and "exo" refer to the direction of heat flow in a chemical reaction. Endothermic reactions absorb heat from the surroundings, while exothermic reactions release heat into the surroundings.

In the case of dissolving LiI in water, this is an exothermic reaction. This means that heat is released into the surrounding water as the LiI molecules break apart and interact with the water molecules. Therefore, the change in enthalpy (delta H) for this reaction will be negative, indicating an exothermic process.

To find the delta H for hydration and solubility, you will need to conduct experiments to measure the change in temperature of the water as the LiI dissolves. This change in temperature can then be used to calculate the delta H using the equation delta H = m x c x delta T, where m is the mass of the water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and delta T is the change in temperature.

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

1. What is the purpose of finding hydration and solubility of LiI?

The purpose of finding the hydration and solubility of LiI is to understand the physical and chemical properties of this compound and how it interacts with water. This information is important in various fields such as materials science, pharmaceuticals, and environmental research.

2. How is the hydration and solubility of LiI determined?

The hydration of LiI is determined by measuring the amount of water molecules that bind to the LiI molecules. This can be done using techniques such as infrared spectroscopy and X-ray crystallography. The solubility of LiI is determined by measuring the maximum amount of the compound that can dissolve in a given amount of solvent.

3. What factors affect the hydration and solubility of LiI?

The hydration and solubility of LiI can be affected by a number of factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances in the solvent. Additionally, the size and charge of the LiI molecules can also impact its ability to dissolve and attract water molecules.

4. What is the difference between endothermic and exothermic hydration of LiI?

Endothermic hydration of LiI refers to the process where energy is absorbed in order for the compound to dissolve in water and form hydrated ions. This results in a decrease in temperature of the solution. On the other hand, exothermic hydration of LiI involves the release of energy as the compound dissolves, resulting in an increase in temperature of the solution.

5. How does the hydration and solubility of LiI compare to other ionic compounds?

The hydration and solubility of LiI are generally higher compared to other ionic compounds. This is due to the small size and high charge of the LiI ions, which allows for stronger interactions with water molecules. However, the specific values may vary depending on the other factors mentioned earlier.