What's Wrong with this Argument? Understanding the Physics of Work

In summary, the conversation discusses an example where a 15 N force is applied to a 2 kg block, resulting in 20 J of work done. The teacher argues that this implies the same distance can be moved for any object with the same conditions. However, the student questions the statement, considering factors such as friction and gravity. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the 15 N resultant force may include other forces besides the one applied.
Riddl3r

Homework Statement

Our teacher made an unconvincing argument based on this example:
If a horizontal force of 15 N were a applied to a 2 kg block, and the work done was 20 J, what distance did the object move?

2. The attempt at a solution
Using W=F*d the teacher solved this: 20 J=15 N*x -> x=4/3 m.
This implied that if I applied 15 N to an object of any mass and did 20 J of work, the distance I could move the object is always the same. There seems to be something fundamentally wrong with this statement. But I'm not seeing what it is, I know it's there - I'm think that somehow I need to do something with the weight of the object. I mean if it were to be realistic I would have to calculate friction and gravity too...

Can somebody please tell me what I missed out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Riddl3r said:
2. The attempt at a solution
Using W=F*d the teacher solved this: 20 J=15 N*x -> x=4/3 m.
This implied that if I applied 15 N to an object of any mass and did 20 J of work, the distance I could move the object is always the same.
That's correct.

Riddl3r said:
There seems to be something fundamentally wrong with this statement. But I'm not seeing what it is, I know it's there - I'm think that somehow I need to do something with the weight of the object. I mean if it were to be realistic I would have to calculate friction and gravity too...

Can somebody please tell me what I missed out?
Usually we neglect friction and the gravity doesn't play a role here because this is a horizontal motion.

it's more like a resultant force of 15N which moves the body 4/3 m when 20 J of work is done. the 15 N resultant force may include the force you apply - any resistive forces for example.

Oh I see what you're saying, I guess my teacher didn't convey that point very well^^

1. What is the purpose of understanding the physics of work?

The purpose of understanding the physics of work is to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and laws that govern the way work is done. This knowledge can help us optimize our efforts and improve efficiency in various tasks and processes.

2. How does the physics of work apply to everyday life?

The physics of work applies to everyday life in many ways, from understanding the mechanics of simple machines like levers and pulleys, to the concept of energy conservation in activities like walking or lifting objects.

3. Can understanding the physics of work help with workplace safety?

Yes, understanding the physics of work can help improve workplace safety. By understanding the forces and energies involved in different tasks, we can identify potential hazards and take appropriate precautions to prevent accidents.

4. Is the physics of work only relevant to physical labor?

No, the physics of work is relevant to all forms of work, whether it involves physical labor or mental effort. It applies to tasks such as writing, problem-solving, and even playing a musical instrument.

5. How can understanding the physics of work benefit society as a whole?

Understanding the physics of work can benefit society by enabling us to develop more efficient technologies and processes, leading to improved productivity and economic growth. It also helps us make informed decisions about the use of resources and the impact of human activities on the environment.