Question regarding Schroedinger's Equation

• Thread starter Domnu
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the compatibility and commutativity of the operators \hat{H} and \hat{p} in Schroedinger's Equation. It is mentioned that they have the same set of eigenkets and can be measured simultaneously, but it is noted that their eigenvalues are different. The conversation also touches on the relationship between the operators and the mass of the particle system. It is stated that in relativistic quantum mechanics, H is the 0th component of the four-momentum and all the components commute with each other. However, this is only true for one-particle states and not for multi-particle systems with interactions.
Domnu
Just a quick question regarding Schroedinger's Equation... since we have [tex]\hat{H} \psi = \hat{p} \psi = E \psi[/tex], does this mean that the operators [tex]\hat{H}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{p}[/tex] are compatible? In other words, does this mean that the operators commute and that the total energy and momentum of the particle system can be observed simultaneously? This would make sense, assuming we knew the mass of the system...

Physics news on Phys.org
Domnu said:
Just a quick question regarding Schroedinger's Equation... since we have [tex]\hat{H} \psi = \hat{p} \psi = E \psi[/tex],
Woa there. Where did you get the idea that this was true? As you wrote it you have the energy eigenvalues being the same as the momentum eigenvalues. It is true that the energy operator and the momentum operator have the same set of eigenkets and, as I recall (I'll have to double check to make sure) for that reason these two operators commute.

Pete

Um, well, you know that Schroedinger's time dependent equation is just

[tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2 \psi + V \psi = i \hbar \frac{d \psi}{dt}[/tex]

and that

[tex]\hat{H} = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2+ V[/tex],
[tex]\hat{p} = i \hbar \frac{d}{dt}[/tex].

So, you know that they can simultaneously be measured (they have the same set of eigenkets, and they are thus commutative... so they are measurable at the same time?)

Last edited:
No, [itex]p=-i\hbar\nabla[/itex]. The operator you call p is actually H, written in an alternative form.

One answer to your original question is that in relativistic quantum mechanics, H is actually the 0th component of the four-momentum. All the components commute with each other, [itex][P^\mu,P^\nu]=0[/itex]. Also, the operator [itex]P^2=-H^2+\vec P^2[/itex] commutes with all of the generators of (inhomogeneous) Lorentz transformations (momentum, spin and boost operators), which means that all the other inertial observers will agree with you about its value. The value is written as [itex]-m^2[/itex], and m is not surprisingly called the mass.

I should add that the above is only true when we're dealing with a Hilbert space of one-particle states. It obviously isn't true when our state vectors represent some complicated multi-particle system with interactions.

Last edited:
Domnu said:
Um, well, you know that Schroedinger's time dependent equation is just

[tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2 \psi + V \psi = i \hbar \frac{d \psi}{dt}[/tex]

and that

[tex]\hat{H} = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2+ V[/tex],
[tex]\hat{p} = i \hbar \frac{d}{dt}[/tex].

So, you know that they can simultaneously be measured (they have the same set of eigenkets, and they are thus commutative... so they are measurable at the same time?)
Yes. But you have it written as having the same eigenvalues, which they don't. The eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian operator are different than the eigenvalues of the momentum operator even though the eigenket is the same. I.e.

[tex]\hat{H} \psi = E \psi[/tex]

[tex]\hat{p} \psi = p \psi[/tex]

p and H do not commute if there is a spatial interaction -- then, dp/dt=F = - grad(V). For a free particle, H and p do commute, thus they share eigenstates, as do any set of commuting operators. They share common eigenvalues only for massless particles, and then only for the magnitude of p.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

1. What is Schroedinger's Equation?

Schroedinger's Equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes with time. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to predict the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. Who discovered Schroedinger's Equation?

Schroedinger's Equation was first proposed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schroedinger in 1926. He developed it as an alternative to the existing quantum theory, which was based on the work of Max Planck and Albert Einstein.

3. What is the significance of Schroedinger's Equation?

Schroedinger's Equation is significant because it helped to establish the field of quantum mechanics. It provided a more complete and accurate understanding of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, and has been used to make many successful predictions in experimental physics.

4. How is Schroedinger's Equation used in practical applications?

Schroedinger's Equation is used in a wide range of practical applications, including the development of electronic devices such as transistors and lasers, and in the study of chemical reactions and molecular structures. It is also essential in fields such as quantum computing and nuclear physics.

5. Is Schroedinger's Equation the only equation used in quantum mechanics?

No, there are other equations used in quantum mechanics, including Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and the Dirac Equation. However, Schroedinger's Equation is one of the most widely used and important equations in the field, and is often the first one introduced to students studying quantum mechanics.